1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Bought A 748 Rescue Dog..advice Sought..

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Skye Hook, May 22, 2019.

1. You need to take the top yoke off as it sits over the nut..you dildo ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Have you undone the pinch bolt at the back of the yoke in the centre

3. He has..
    Top yoke needs to come off.

4. yep pinch bolt loose and no joy,seems like the nut has welded itself into the steering head,it just will not budge.i will maybe try and take to a local garage to get an air wrench on it but it does not feel right at all,turned maybe 1/2 turn all in and just getting tighter and more difficult,and the nut is not coming up out of the top of the yoke at all,nightmare.
    thinking about worse scenario here,if this cannot be undone what options do i have?

5. You have to take the top yoke off first. The nut will never come off/undone with it on.
    Like trying to lift yourself up whilst standing in a tin bath.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Louder, he can't hear you..

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. You tell 'im

8. OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,the light is begining to dawn,so undo the fork pinch bolts too and then it should lift off with the nut too?? i can hear you now ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. No, undo fork pinch bolts, remove top yoke undo nut and remove nut from stem..

10. Top yolk is only held in place by the pinch bolts and gravity?

11. It sits down onto the step on the stem nut.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Didn't know that, but in fairness I've never tried to remove one.

13. Is 999 the same?

14. TO paraphrase MLK.. " Through at last, through at last, thank f'ck, he got through at last "....

15. It wasn't me trying to remove before.

16. YES!! thank you Final Edition,its a first for me and could've all gone tits up there,jacked up the front end and raised the yoke off,then in reverse with a bit of oil and grease,the bearings are not notchy,i have it now so that there is less clunkyness on the front end,just a little under braking,so may tighten a wee bit more,what is the torque spec on that do you know?
    i kind of like the look of those anodised yolk nuts now i have bolloxed the original up,kerching..again.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Here you go... don’t forget to slacken it after tightening.

7F68DFFA-E19A-425A-B08C-CD7168F0A037.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 3
  18. Thank you all for your amazing help during the past 3 weeks or so,the head bearings have sat down better now and all in all she is completed and good to run.the rear cush drives are a bit dear at the moment and they are not too bad really, so low down the list of have to do's..the side stand switch is knackered ,another 30 quid to throw at it and i also have a new bolt for the stand on its way.termi's chippef now and running perfectly.fairings fasteners are great aren't they?

I have decided to sell the bike on now,i am 6'2" and its a bit too cramped really,so my eyes are now on a 749S, the 748 has given me a taste for this mid range duc, it is such a fun bike to hoon around on,the younger sister is an acquired taste to some,but i remember actually liking the 999 when it first came out,it just looks better and better now in retrospect.

I am really glad to have had the experience with this bike,despite being a bit ham fisted at times,its easy enough to work on once someone shouts loudly enough and i can actually 'hear' what they are saying,pretty chuffed with what i have managed so far,transformed a dirty and unloved machine into a sexy little beast. she is on ebay now, if she doesnt sell that is also fine,i can enjoy the Summer and get a little deeper into the guts on the thing,but i thought i should give you lot a shout out for being so patient and helpful,cheers!

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1624.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information