1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Brand New 998s

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by SalkinSupersport, Feb 23, 2018.

1. It doesn't look very promising to me and it's certainly not something I would rush to buy. It's basically just a standard 998 biposto. A mono would be more attractive but as I already have a nice clean low kms example this doesn't seem rare or special in any way that would make me think of picking up the phone and paying any kind of premium.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fit a speedo with more km showing...

3. just change the clocks over this gets round the problem,,,6001mls:thinkingface:

4. Do they even check the mileage?

I imported a Moto Guzzi from Italy 3 years ago. It had done less than 12,000 miles, I filled in the NOVA declaration which, IIRC asks the mileage amongst other info., no VAT was payable.

Before I could get it legal, registration etc. it needed an MOT but before the MOT I bought a new MPH speedo, so the first UK MOT test, sent off to DVLA with the registration application form shows 15 miles and a headlamp converter (AKA masking tape) fitted.

Nobody said anything and no-one from HMRC asked for any information other than what was on the NOVA declaration and I got a V5 about a week later.

It would be very easy to change the speedo before importing, or even to claim a higher mileage and, if anyone questioned why it shows less than 6k say it had been swapped for a new one, it's not as if a 15 year old bike wouldn't be expected to have at least 6k on it...

5. I'm with Joe on this. if it were an "S" it would have the CF bellypan at the very least. I'm sure there are more hawk-eyed individuals on here that will spot other things that mark it out as a standard 998 Bip and not a 998s.

Pete

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you lie on the Nova application you can go to jail :eek: if you did lie and they did check your doomed, so not worth the risk with the tax man IMHO - what if they check with the seller and he tells the truth? They can also google and find the advert. Then you're stuffed :thinkingface: It is a bloody ridiculous additional tax / theft though!

7. kms - pay attention :)

8. I wonder if the VAT (or whatever it's called over there) was ever paid? (was it ever sold?) because if it was then surely that's good enough? You shouldn't have to pay it twice.

As for lying, if the speedo that's fitted to it says 10,000km then you're not lying are you? not if you bought it in good faith.

After all I have no way of knowing for sure if my Guzzi's mileage was genuine, although if not it's more likely to have been clocked back given that it's nearly 40 years old...

9. You won't be going to prison (for vat evasion on your Guzzi at least) :thinkingface:

10. They'd never take me alive anyway... ;)

11. That's not an advantage really :thinkingface:

12. surely when coming into the UK it should be Miles not Kms:thinkingface:

13. The rule is 6000kms, that doesn't equate to 6000 miles dumbo :yum (feel free to use the ignore button if you are feeling sensitive today) :)

14. Stu,,,we are are in the UK and not europe so i thought the customs would deal in Miles and not KM`s,,thats the point i was making/asking you,,why call me dumbo theres no need for it,,,as i have travel extensively around europe ,Regards

15. Much better o_O:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. For the record it's 3728 miles, but if you put that they might sting you for the 0.23 miles extra on the conversion :worried:

Both are shown on the UK NOVA rules but 6000kms is the limit with reference to the mileage conversion :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Deffo a non S. Belly pan, front brake calipers and steering damper all non S.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I agree with bettes, and the pipes. Bettes & I definitely know its not an S model. Mine is one of only 27 genuine Mono's imported into the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  19. so who have the other 25 then??

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. have we seen your one:thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information