1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Break It Or Keep It After Accident?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by MatiasH, May 16, 2017.

1. So a little over a week ago, I was returning from a 2-day business trip with my ST2. The trip didn't go as planned, as I have yet to reach home, and currently writing from the hospital. It appears that I had some luck on my side, as it seems I only have fractured ribs, pelvis and some internal bleeding which was small and didn't need attention. I won't go into the details of the accident as it's still an open case, but let's say there's a green tractor, a green van and a head on collision...

I hit the van at around maybe 30-40mph. I haven't seen the bike, but my sister managed to take some pictures. It doesn't seem that broken, but I do suppose the wheel and brake disc are gone. The question is, how about the front forks and the frame. I suppose the forks could be changed for similar ones or monster ones, but is it possible to check the forks, and the frame somehow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know an old bike like this isn't worth nearly anything, but it's more than I have in my bank account. I might be getting something from insurance, so was wondering if there's any sense in getting it home and checking if it could be repaired. The problem is the market for spares in Finland is small, so I might not be able to sell a lot or anything off the bike, except maybe the hard bags...

Any pointers welcome at this point, as I have a lot of time at my hands currently and thinking about what will be my next move as soon as I am

2. Sorry to read this, wishing you a speedy recovery, as you say it couldve been a lot worse.
    Check the front engine mount(of the motor). They fracture on front enders.

#2 900streetfighter, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. ow! glad you aren't any more hurt.
    the thing to do with the frame is get it on a jig to see if it's bent or not (if not, and you like the bike, you might well be better off fixing it). I can recommend one in the UK, but that won't be much use to you... (Motoliners) Steel frames can be straightened (which is why I race a steelframe CBR600), but that's the first thing to check. (then check for cracks). I'd expect the forks to be toast, but wheels are pretty robust. Do you know if you were accelerating hard at the point of impact? (don't say on here) - although it wasn't a good one for you, the bike might be relatively undamaged.

Do you have any bruises on the tops of your thighs? this is a "good" way of working out whether to expect bent handlebars...

4. Oh no!!!
    Glad your relatively ok
    Get well soon Mr

5. Sorry to hear about your accident. I drove my Honda VFR750 into the back of my house once whilst trying to bump start it, half asleep at 4am. Certainly woke me up that day! Anyhow, the front end looked very similar to yours. Besides all the bodywork being trashed the front forks were now J shaped. I had the forks re-sleeved which didnt cost too much. Fortunately the frame, wheel & discs were fine. It was just then a question of trying to straighten out or replace all the fairing brackets and getting new headlamp/bodywork/clocks/screen for it.

6. I'm sorry, but that is the funniest accident I have ever heard. :grinning: I hope it didn't hurt too much... Did you make an insurance claim? "a house pulled out in front of me without indicating..."

7. Get well soon, thankfully the first image contained a wheelie-bin or all hell would of been manifested! ;)

8. The extent of the damage will probably depend very much on the precise nature of the impact, ie exactly which areas took the main force.
    As an example, my Honda Dominator was a cat D write-off after a car pulled out in front of me at a junction, and it looked a mess.
    The impact was mostly taken by the fairing panels though.
    I had the bike back from the insurers to see what I could do to fix it on a budget.
    First of all, I knew that the wheels were exactly in line before the accident, so I checked and they still were.
    Then I bounced the forks, and they seemed to have full travel with no binding or stiffness.
    Checked front wheel run-out .. it was fine.
    So I put it back together, with a set of straight bars (already hanging on the shed wall) to replace the bent ones and minor gaffer-taping to the broken plastic fairing panel.
    My only expenditure was on a can of butane gas for my blowlamp, to heat and straighten a bent clutch lever.
    It has passed many mot tests since then and I'm still riding it to this day.
    The economy of the repair did depend to some extent on how much cosmetic damage I was prepared to live with though .. perhaps a critical factor in the decision to repair or not.

Ducatis, with their stressed frame/engine combo, are said to fare less well than some in a shunt though and its worth closely checking the engine mounts on the crankcases for cracks if you do decide to repair it. And obviously, if there's any doubt then it would be best to get it checked on a jig if you can find someone with the necessary kit in Finland .. which should be possible I would expect, but obviously adds cost.
    Forks are easy enough to replace if they are bent (try Pirinimoto on ebay for cheap, brand new forks).
    I would think that your wheel and disc stand a fair chance of being ok.

Whether its sensible to repair or better to break is a difficult choice and each case will depend greatly on the precise nature and extent of the damage .. and also the diy mechanic skills of the owner.
    Sometimes they can turn into a money pit which swallows unexpectedly high amounts of cash but on the other hand they often look a lot worse at first sight than they actually are, so don't give up on it too easily.
    And an ST2 could make the basis of a nice naked project, if the bodywork damage is going to be too costly for economic replacement.
    That's probably what I would do .. but then I've always fancied a naked project.
    If you don't, you might find someone else who does ....? ...which would be a nice, easy way of disposing of all the bits in one lump.

9. GWS , the extent of the damage will determine what action you take regarding a repair or break.
    Steve

10. Heres some frame dimensions ,as said check for cracks on the engine at mounting points. Good luck with it.
    Get well soon.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. :grinning: I can laugh now, but at the time it wasnt funny. I was running along side it and let the clutch out, but as I was half asleep I didnt jump on quick enough and the bike flew off at full throttle in 1st dragging me along side it, before smashing into the back of the house. Luckily I didnt get injured, just got bruised arm & hip. Even luckier, had the bike hit the house 3 foot to the left, it would have gone clean through my patio doors and ended up ploughing through my living room, taking out my TV etc. Imagine that on the insurance claim!

Needless to say I didnt make a claim and kept quiet about it. :grinning:

12. Did have a small bruise on one of my thighs, but the main impact was the tank in the groin... As soon as I get some info from the insurance I'll check what is the best solution. Good to have the places to check and the dimensions. Thanks everyone!

PS. The bike in the wall was funny, especially as nothing serious happened :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. heheh! as you say, it's only funny because you didn't injure yourself :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information