1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brings My Pathetic Troubles Into Sharp Relief

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Symon Moore, Aug 6, 2019.

1. It’s luck who your parents are

It’s luck how you respond to their guidance

It’s luck to have good physical and mental health

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ps I used to make my own luck too.

Not anymore

3. I know what you’re getting at, but the only real thing I would attribute to luck is the single most important “thing” of all. Your health. Everything else can be overcome with other attributes, effort, hard work etc. But yes, in that respect, life is all luck & some people really seem to get the crappy end of the lucky stick.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Yes I guess your right, that's what's also called a mistake.

5. I think it’s very easy to be judgemental

Most female prisoners have addiction problems brought about by emotional trauma. A large percentage of male prisoners have learning difficulties and/or addiction problems

#25 749er, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. My wife died last September, nine months after a stroke that took away her speech and most of the movement in her right side. This was a couple of years after being diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

I was lucky enough to be able to care for her at home for most of that time, which was actually quite easy until the cancer got into her spine and rendered her paraplegic. At which point she could do virtually nothing for herself but the really excellent help afforded by the NHS funded care system allowed her to stay with me until a couple of days before she died. Unfortunately I missed her final breath, in the Hospice maybe 15 miles away, by about 10 seconds .... something that I'll never forgive myself for.

I'm missing her more than usual today as I'm off to see some friends in Boulogne tomorrow and it'll be the first time I've ever got on a ferry at Dover without her, although at least I'll be on the bike rather than in the car so it'll be a bit different.

BUT .... I'm very fortunate really. Lots of friends, half an NHS pension, nice house and a decent stash. And a couple of Ducatis.

Unlike the poor couple who Symon writes about so movingly.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. But you don't know its a mistake, normally, until its too late.

So its down to luck then ?

8. i believe everything happens for a reason.
    in this case, your experience will have a positive ripple effect and make at least those of us that got to read your post, treat our day differently and hopefully lift another we cross paths with, causing another positive ripple.....and on and on..
    and yes...i count myself very lucky.

• Like Like x 2
  9. As you found it to be a cathartic experience, how about volunteering at your local hospice or Cancer group?

Maybe it can bring that warm feeling to you on a more regular basis. While helping others get through the roughest times in their lives.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dear Symon, if you visit them again, may I suggest the lady and gent you so kindly dealt with are put in contact with Macmillan Cancer Support.
    They can find someone to talk to and could heave some practical assistance too at: 0808 808 00 00 7 days a week, 8am-8pm Call free*

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. You gave someone time, that's the most precious commodity in the world. Well done you!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information