1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Gas Rip Off

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wayne58, Aug 4, 2017.

1. I looked at them and they were more expensive than anything I did manually.
    For example I do my electric and gas with two different suppliers as this is cheaper than the best combined deal.
    When you are spending +£5K a year on Gas/Electric it's worth spending the time to sort this.

2. Yes I did and posted my findings in a separate thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. I have just done the exact same thing after years and years with British Gas. I bank with Nationwide and they sent me notice of something called Switchd,
    https://switchd.co.uk/?utm_channel=...rijSaYIATR9ykfl--FjJDAghflaWg82IaAop_EALw_wcB
    It all went really smoothly and British Gas can’t get anywhere near the rates that I have signed up for. Vote with your feet!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well, either way. This should be my last Winter with night storage heaters and off-peak power. I will either use Fischer or other makes but I know that before my crash in March '19, I was looking at another make of electric heater who reckoned that the night storage rate was a waste of time.

The price of night electricity is only going to go one way. With thousands of electric cars charging up at night, then no energy company is going to make that a cheap power time...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good insulation is the way forward. Once your home is done, you require so little heat that you can afford to use expensive options as the bills are low... Its just like owing a Ducati but not riding it much!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mains Gas for heating (or hot water) is the way to go, quarter of the price of electric...... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Not when the nearest gas main is five miles away. Though there is a distribution pipeline much nearer!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I chose my words to help our international members.... distributed mains gas isn't common around the world.
    When the man came to relay the pipe he also incorrectly called it "a main".. ;)

9. For me, gas has gone. Installing the plumbing for water radiators would of been a nightmare. I suppose it could of been done with lots of visible pipework but I didn't fancy it.

10. At least you have a decent electrical supply to each radiator point, so stored electrical heat is the way to go. Remember to keep the economy 7 or 10 meter.
    If you get a good heating engineer they put it all back as good as before. Personal recommendation and look at previous works is the way to go.
    We have mahogany floors everywhere on the first floor and the lounge / dining room (oak in the library). I was quoted £20k to take them up and put them back in 1996.
    FFS I thought just take down the ceilings downstairs and did a little boxing in around the front door. House is positively tropical and we've no wall insulation at all.

Going to look into a grant for external wall insulation, as I hate the pebble dash and white paint.

11. I was planning to dump the Economy 7,8 or 10 meter (or whatever it is). I planned to go for a normal tariff so that I would not pay over the odds for day-time electricity (as I do know). I am home all day and even just before when I wasn't, I was getting fed up with timing my washing machine to come on a 3am. I just want to be on a normal tariff where I can turn things on whenever I want (as in, the whole point of having mains electricity!). Anyway, when thousands of cars are recharging and no solar is available, I can't believe that energy companies will take it up the ass. Night-time electricity could become more expensive than day-time! Or, energy companies come clean and admit that all of this solar and tidal "green" power is a lie. We still use coal, but burn it in Russia and Poland, as we like to export our mess.

12. What? Doris says the UK is going to become the Saudi Arabia of wind power! You're not saying he is being deliberately misleading are you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. No, we do have a good source of wind and gas. Westminster could become a vital power source... and they often sit at night so they could be charging up all of our electric cars with their "wind" power!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Just received notification from British Gas that as the current UK Regulator’s cap on costs are being lifted, the cost of my gas is going to rise. Great breakdown of what my current annual bill is likely to cost to April 2021 and how much it will increase by. All this followed by the hard sell to sign up to a fixed deal, protecting me from price increases blah de blah de blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. In the small print, signing up to a fixed deal will save me an estimated £2.99 :joy:. The mail shot must have cost ten times that. Bunch of cowboys. Andy

15. Ah but its possible that if you sign up to their new fixed price contract, you will have to pay them an exit fee of £60, so ideal for THEM if you do it.

16. I’m in an enviable if awkward situation. My annual gas usage is low, too low to be attractive to an alternate supplier and way too low to qualify for ‘attractive’ terms. I don’t make it easy for myself either in that I refuse point blank to pay in advance for the energy the company say I might use. Andy

17. And British Gas workers have to go on strike because BG have changed their employment contracts and the new conditions are terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I switched from N power to Flipper , you pay them an annual fee of £30 , if they can save you £50 a year they will switch you , they switched me from Utility point to Avro energy after the first year, currently paying £109 per month for gas and electric .

19. Same here. I look at switching occasionally, but it has always meant losing the smart meter display which I want to keep, emailing my meter readings which I don't want to be bothered with, and being liable to a £60 exit fee should I move again within a year. Most also want direct debits which I would have to track. All that just to save £3 a year.

Now if they would include free Ducati engine paint & maintenance I might talk to them...

20. Interesting to see your comment about smart meters. Apart from communicating actual energy usage direct to the provider, what other benefits does it give ? Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information