1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Precisely. That is my point. Its a nonsensical premise and so is EU citizenship.

2. teehee, ramp sorted, fortune saved and made. necessity mother of invention and all that.
    yip there was more people living and registered to vote up here that voted no. not born here and voted no, but hay dont let the official stats get in the way of a good gripe.
    i guess thats one of the reasons they are sticking to the G.E franchise regarding the E.U reff.
    i don't think it's the english or any other nation that bull doses over the scots i am pretty sure it's westminster and associated lobbyists that concentrate on their core vote, why wouldn't they? majority rules does it not?
    personally i am all in favor of a second house as i have said many times, i dont think having a second look at any recommendation is a bad thing especially if it helps rule out short term interests. unelected, well maybe not the best but you have to work with what you got.
    again i dont think an E.U referendum is a bad thing, but it does again highlight our different needs. i suspect England will vote out, and i can understand why, we don't have the levels of immigration up here and if we do you wouldn't notice (you do actually god them continentals are bonnie) due to the amount of space we have and not just between our ears. until i am told otherwise by an organization i can trust i have to assume scotland is highly dependent on the E.U due to farming/fishing and immigration. so i say bring it on.

3. This is the principle of presumption in operation again. Scottish Nationalists are behaving as if Scotland were already an independent country. It isn't. The People of Scotland voted in a referendum to remain part of one indivisible nation, the United Kingdom. The people of the United Kingdom, which ever part of it they live in, will be asked whether they want the UK to remain in the EU or whether they wish the UK to withdraw. The result of that vote will apply to the UK as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Some posters on here seem to have got into the habit of copy-&-pasting texts from elsewhere indiscriminately, without attribution and without any link to the source. This is pretty boring stuff, and degrades the debate. Still, it does serve one useful function - it flags up that the person concerned can't be bothered to express their own thoughts for themselves.

5. i can assure you pete there is no space between my ears. just no link to support it. :smile:

6. It is also a presumption to assume that a UK in/out referendum on the EU would be plain sailing should the result be a vote to leave. It would be very messy, there is a big question on whether Westminster has the authority to change legislation in the devolved nations without their agreement. I don't believe the SNP are getting above themselves, they are pointing out what already exists in the current settlement, which is about to be strengthened because Westminster bottled it in the last few days before the Scottish referendum.

It isn't a guarantee that the UK would break up if it left the EU, it depends on how the vote goes in each of the devolved nations but it is a high risk. We won't be able to leave and carry on as before as UKIP suggests, since it's highly likely there won't be a UK.

#86 M1key, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. Muddy indeed. I blame Tony Blair, who sought to buy off Scotland with devolution, and look where that has got us.

8. Indeed, but to be fair pressure was building since Braveheart so you could throw a bit of blame Mel Gibson's way ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. think rob roy was a better movie. tim roth and brian cox where superb in it.

10. [​IMG]
    Isn't scotland brilliiaaant

• Like Like x 1
  11. Now he's quit as Middle East Peace Envoy (that went well) he is at liberty to meddle elsewhere.
    As the EU referendum approaches and the constitutional crisis deepens expect to see his rictus grin saturating the BBC's current affairs schedules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oh dear, i so wish your statement was true................................but of course it isn't. When this referendum takes place the one question that we should be asked "remain in the EU or whether they wish the UK to withdraw", is very one we defo will not be asked. We won't be asked it because our government knows full well what the answer of the vast majority of us will be. So let's not pretend that this referendum is an in or out vote, because it's nothing of the sort. This government never had any intention of giving us an in or out vote, only UKIP gave us that promise. Even if we all vote no, all they will do is go back to "secret" talks with other EU states and keep coming back to us until we vote yes.

13. Which is..?

14. stay in.

15. or leave

16. yip, it will be one of those.
    i recon it will be the same as the indie reff, whiskey,iron bru and independence all bottled in Scotland

17. Scotland did a lot of bottling in the indy ref. ;)
    On the EU referendum, if the result is leave, Westminster and Europe will interpret that as a request for more negotiations with further referendums as required until the "correct" result is returned. If the vote is to stay in they take that as complete unquestioning vindication of everything the EU stands for and the matter will be closed. Funny that.

18. that's how it works init?

19. Much the same as i said, except of course we are not going to be asked if we want to stay or leave.

If we were to be asked to stay or leave, i'm very shure the answer would be to leave. The fact we are not going to be asked that question tells all of us that the government (and all the other main party's) think the same thing.

I refer you to the above answer

If that was what we will be asked, then yes, it would be to leave.

20. I think Nigel Lawson has it right. The question, as you say, will be fudged. The country will vote by a narrow majority to stay in and quickly come to regret it. The issue will not be put to bed, it will only be the beginning.
    However, ironically I think Greece may yet come to our rescue.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information