1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Superbike School Levels 1 & 3 At Blyton Circuit, Lincs

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Zhed46, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Never heard of it before reading your post. Is it an old airfield? I assume that it is only used for testing and not racing, is it?

2. Mine is a bit sub optimal at the moment tbh.

1. Side stand fouled number plate holder the first time I used it, bending the mounting bracket and also smashing the number plate light (currently replaced with a Heath Robinson arrangement consisting of a camping head torch and a reading light held on with cable ties). See (3) for the reason why.

2. Both of the ring/spring pin/clip thingies which secure the large locator pins at the rear chock and the front hinge worked loose and one fell out altogether.

3. The larger 10” wheels mean that I need to relocate my towing iron a fair bit higher as there’s not enough angle on the dangle to allow the end of the channel to reach the floor when it’s in “ramp mode” unless I park on a steep slope.

4. The edges of the front chock are very sharp and when I loaded my 900SS bobber on there the other week with the intention of riding it at the Bikeshed track day, it sliced a v shape chunk out of the tyre (this is why you’ll see from the pic that I’ve covered the chock with a wooly wash mitt).

5. Various other metal parts haven’t been finished very well and so also have sharp edges, including and especially the little clips into which the wiring locates on the edges of the channel, and they’ve cut my fingers open a few times.

I liked yours better as it was nicely broken in, none of the parts or fasteners fell off it and it didn’t keep slashing my tyres or my fingers. :upyeah:

#22 Zhed46, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • WTF WTF x 1
  3. Yes, it seems to have been an airfield.

Now that it’s no longer in the Hinge family, it’s owned by Ginetta, who I think use it for storing and testing their cars. Rapid Training were also running a training day there at the same time and I think a wheelie school uses it too.

#23 Zhed46, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Sorry to hear that. As I recall I did warn you that it is necessary to remove the number plate holder whilst loading the bike, and attach it afterwards. I might have a suitable spare light if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You should have kept mine, and had your new one delivered to me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. https://www.blytonpark.co.uk/

7. It goes on ok if the ramp is fully down but this was when we were trying to get a bike on with a significant gap between the ramp and the road. Once I raise the towing iron I think it’ll be fine.

If you do have a spare number plate light that would be awesome thanks, but I’m going to call them on Monday about the ring spring pins or whatever they’re called falling out and will ask for one then, so if you don’t then it’s no biggie

8. I did a 121 session with bsc on my DVT (in much better weather I may add) thoroughly enjoyed it and got lots out of the day. We had the debrief classroom sessions which did help, relaxed atmosphere and loads learnt. It’s only a small circuit, I think 1.6 miles if I remember and it’s one of the few tracks that runs anti-clockwise ( I’m sure that’s a fact) here’s a few photos of my day:
    89C1FA19-EAAC-438F-AD59-7F099CD666CB.jpeg E4AD8CE8-88F4-4B12-BDF1-EF1E4C02FD76.jpeg 3A7CEC87-5E7D-4BED-8C9B-AC98CD6A3AFA.jpeg 6FAFD6EE-F878-4980-9480-53B45793DAA5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. It’s always a reassuring sign doing a rider skills day with an instructor whose leathers are covered in scuffs and holes (suggested slogan - “I’ve fallen off so you don’t have to”) :yum

111FAB3F-4543-4385-871A-AB717712772F.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sounds and looks a great day :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here is the spare light unit. It was in the blue bag of tie-down straps. I bought a pair but only used one.

20200925_205855.jpg

20200925_205904.jpg

20200925_205912.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1CFC8CA0-0AD8-4CE6-89F9-719A70D114FA.jpeg
    Nice one of me, then my son and Dan in the background.

D1ED408C-DEDE-4FA7-8FF5-97692D03AC66.jpeg

B03829FC-EDF4-4426-AD55-446D7110DFDE.jpeg
    My son.

E2DD1076-C1D9-44B6-8BFE-015ECA973BF4.jpeg And again.

D3AB803F-A8CD-4E11-8CDE-17FCC447A0B8.jpeg

All in all, it was a fantastic day which even despite the horrible cold and wet weather turned out to be enjoyable and educational.

• Like Like x 2
  13. It does have a clear lens. Look at the third photo more closely ...

14. Ah, they must have changed the design since you bought yours as mine has a stand-alone numberplate light

15. Just Got back from an afternoon at Blyton. Was meant to be a day but I took one look at the weather and had a lie in!

Blowing an absolute gale - made life a little interesting but it did dry out the track very well!

It was a Loose Cannon trackday - run by Jimmy Buchanan the Trioptions racer. Not doing the full day didn’t make it easy to get the full flavour but it seemed pretty relaxed and friendly.

Because of the weather and the relatively small number of people they turned it into and open pit lane in the afternoon - worked well and allowed me to get in some long sessions in the short time I had.

Circuit is anti-clockwise and pretty much all left handers aside from a bit of a right hand curve through a chicane and a single 90 degree right.

In comparison to the established tracks it’s very bumpy - really felt the difference through the bars and made the bike very lively - I would guess a more road biased suspension setup would be required if you were going to get the best out of it.

The straight is really long - I mean get the bike into 6th long and has a deceptively slow left hander at the end - lots of people ended up out braking themselves and running on - and if you really get it wrong then the run off is a ploughed field!

It was good to get out on the the bike and try a different circuit but to be honest I wouldn’t rush to go back. Which is a shame because I think it’s really good that Jimmy is building this business and we need more players to compete with the big 2 - unfortunately they have the majority of the circuits pretty as a monopoly.

• Like Like x 2
  16. The bumps were making life interesting. If you look at the cable tie on the fork legs you can see that I was bottoming them out, probably because I am now riding harder than when I had the suspension set up this time last year when I was first returning to track riding. At one point when braking for that left at the end of the main straight the front tyre was chattering, quite possibly skipping across the surface, which was kind of "invigorating", so I gave the forks a bit more preload and compression damping over the lunch break!

That long back straight is awesome and that's where Dan was wincing at my braking because you're going at a fair old lick by the time you get there, and like you say the left is deceptively slow and kind of sucks you in.

Although it took me a long time to get there (3 hrs from Herts), I'd give Blyton another go, simply because I like to practise on circuits with lots of run off rather than gravel traps and tyre walls, just in case it all goes t!t's up. It kind of reminded me a bit of a Poundshop version of Bedford Autodrome (another anti-clockwise track surrounded by fields), and if the new owners put some money into it then it might be a competitor.

#37 Zhed46, Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Love the phrasing! :joy: Poundshop Autodrome is spot on!

I think next year if the madness is all over and I can camp overnight then I want to get Snetterton and Oulton under my belt - As long as they will let me on with 105db static!

There’s enough circuits I haven’t done to avoid Bedford just yet! Been there on a Palmersport day and that was great but on a bike I can see it being another tooth rattler!

• Like Like x 1
  18. I really ought to have a look at what goes on at my local circuit. I drive past Blyton Airfield every day on my way to and from work.
    Not been up there on a bike since the early 90's when I ran my GSX1168 up the 1/4 mile when the Ultimate Streetbike series made their annual visit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sounds like you and Little Zhed, although he’s hardly little, had a wonderful day.
    Jealous of the camper van!!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information