1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Broken Belt!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard R, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Thinking about it, my choice would be to take to a 3rd party and pay for 1 hour labor to remove the cover and have a once over (belt tensioner pulley).

The problem with anything like this is in the proof they did something wrong and you haden't been fiddling.

2. Other option is you hassle them to look at it but insist you be there for the cover removal and analysis. Wouldn’t trust any dealer to not cover up if it was their mistake.

3. Could b a seized belt roller and nothing to do how the belts were fitted

4. Agreed. Wasn't there some kind of mod/upgrade on the belt roller? Before the 1198 I think.
    If OP's turned it over again (and that was a leap of faith!) without clunky grinding noises, then it's nothing catastrophic. Good luck anyhow :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bit of an update (somewhat delayed as I've been burying my head in the sand regarding the whole episode) on this.... I could never get hold of the service manager to discuss the broken belt, so I just called the service department and booked it in for them to spend 2 hours inspecting the bike. Six weeks later I delivered the bike to them, letting them know that I own a car dealership, and that if this happened to a car one of my technicians worked on I would want to look into it and sort it out for the customer. Two days later I get a video sent of a F*%ked valves and cam shaft and a quote for £10'500 to repair it. I also get emailed an invoice for £936 (13 hours labour). Having spoken to 5 other Ducati dealers (main and indy) they all said 2 hours to get the head on a bench and 5 hours tops to have it off and fully stripped down. Unfortunately I paid the invoice (as I just wanted my bike back and away from the dealer in question) before speaking to other garages about the labour times.... it was Ducati John that first said "F*#k me that's a lot when I showed him the bill" . I emailed the service manager asking if he would check the time clocking on the job card and check the invoice to make sure there isn't and error, but didn't get any response. After not getting a reply I filled out a "Contact us" form on their website... 2 months later no reply.

*** The funny thing is, if on my first contact they just said "we warrant our work for 12 months, tough shit and fuck off" I would be £1250 better off! :laughing: (£250 getting the bike up there and back and the £950 inspection) ***

After my first few track days (and a family holiday!) last month, I feel refreshed and motivated to get this bike back on the road/track...

Some of you have seen my wanted ad for engine parts, and with help from @Exige and others I've been in touch with Ducati customer services to discuss the dealership's poor level of service. More importantly, the nightmare of a £10'500 repair quote that has been at the back of my mind for the last 3 months is just a phantom, now banished... Found a genuine new head (500 euro) from Forza Moto (https://www.forza-moto.com/en/ a great company with loads of interesting parts) and a set of new titanium valves ( 760 euro), inlet cam from Moto Rapido and Ducati John to sort the rest out... it's looking like a total repair bill of around £3000 +vat (I can claim the VAT back :yum).

I feel a lot better writing it all down and getting it off my chest... we men should do it more often! I'm looking forward to nice spring weather and meeting up with @Exige in Helmsley (and any other members local to York... as long as you have a 1098R :p).

Big thanks to Ducati John, Louigi Moto (for recommending Forza Moto), Ducati Leeds parts team (for various parts diagrams and bits and bobs) Moto Rapido & JHP for having a natter and looking for parts.

I have specifically not "named and shamed" the main dealer who has been so un-helpful. I don't feel the need to get revenge by leaving shitty reviews etc... they have a few of those already! I also don't want to come across as a spiteful dick. For complete fairness, it is hard to find the exact cause (something seizing in the head causing the belt to come off was their evaluation) so their workmanship could have been ok, but poor communication cannot be defended.

All in all, if the final repair bill is around £3000, I'm still financially better off ( and a lot cooler :cool:) than if I had bought a Panigale/R1/CBR etc (taking depreciation into account).

• Like Like x 7
  6. £10,500 repair? So a new engine costs more?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Imho, most likely scenario is Creamys suggestion of tensioner turned wrong way or the one Ducati John warns about, which is the top hat washer not properly home. Either of these will lead to a shredded belt.
    If something in the head had seized solidly enough to break a belt, surely they would have found it and shown it to you.
    Belts take a lot of breaking, as evidenced by CCWs videos.

8. It's a 1098R (not and 1198 as I seem to have put in the title!)... £10'500 is the price of a complete new head with valves and cams.... Valves are £325 +vat each, cams £590+ each the list goes on!

• WTF WTF x 1
  9. Flipping eck

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. doh.

11. which came first the dropped valve or the broken belt..

I would be taking off the cam belt covers and taking pictures before i hand the bike over, as it may well be a poor set up belt adjustment ...but under the cover of a workshop some may sort that and blame it on the ti valves which are susceptible to breaking off their heads..

was the valve clearances or cam timing done at the time of service?

12. If the cam belt has slipped or broke it'll be more than just a head

poss cam(s), valves, the piston, if its hit/bent the ti rod, and on and on, full engine strip, split crankcases to check crank and rods..

#32 andyb, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  13. No support from dealer. Name them. I don’t want to be taking my bike anywhere like that.

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. but it might not be their fault...still shit comms!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. And?

Charging a grand was

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I think that you should name and shame. If something in the valve train failed badly enough to break/shred/jump a belt, then it is improbable to have not have damage to the piston/conrod/crank or bores. The valves would have to of stayed shut if there is no other damage. Either way, I think that the dealer should have been more helpful.

I have done the belts on my ST2 and I am now shitting it!

17. Glad you told us, only guessed by the earlier repair quote.

18. Yeah, name them so we can go round and torch the place. :bomb: Perfectly justifiable. :mad:

untitled.png

19. Do tell then...

20. Is settle for simply avoiding them but you northern lot do things differently

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information