1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brought A Van (or Two) For The Winter Hack!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by SlowHand, Sep 20, 2018.

1. I came across a fun bike on fleabay and thought it may do as a winter hack/bit of fun. It was cheapish and not too far away. Not well serviced but one owner, on a 16 plate and with 4k miles I couldn't resist.

It's a 2016 Suzuki Vanvan 125.

upload_2018-9-20_8-5-3.png

The seat is aftermarket but I have the new original. Sports a topbox now. Needs a good service plus I will change the chain/sprockets, battery etc. so I know when they were last done.

Starts and runs great but haven't ridden it as I want to go over it first.

With the fat tyres, and almost zero HP, it should be good for the winter. They hold their prices too.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Funny enough, was looking at them as a future first bike for my youngest lad (not long turned 15, so could play about with it in the interim). Like the quirky look of them. Out of interest, what did it cost you (feel free to decline that answer if you like)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Love me a vanvan.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No worries;
    Good bits: 2016, 1 female owner. Clear on all checks. 4k miles. Both keys. Full paperwork trail. I have the original seat in perfect condition. Crap, but functioning, topbox. Datatagged. Starts first push of the button and ticks over like a sowing machine. Doesn't need a MOT until next year. £19 to tax it for the year!!
    Bad bits: Service book only has one stamp at 1k miles. Chain and sprockets shot. Needs a good clean.

I paid £1800 for it.

I have ordered/picked up the following so far:
    Chain and sprocket kit. Plug, oil and air filters, oil, Battery (but I don't think I need to change it) and...

although it didn't need it, one of these:

upload_2018-9-20_10-37-43.png

Full stainless system £240!

5. good find - seem to be going for around the 1200-1500 mark for 06-09 age bikes. Would be interested to hear how you get along with it, any hiccups, etc

6. Sounds about right! There is a yellow one on Fleabay on a 03 plate and it was up for £1250. They have now dropped it to £1150. I messaged them and offered a cheeky £800 but they never replied :thinkingface:. Then saw the 16 plate, and fanny's your Aunt.

I will update any issues or joy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A good alternative to a scooter just to run around town on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I love the look of these. But they really needed something like a 4 or 500 in it. I think they went as far as 200. : unamused:

:thinkingface: Hmmm....They had a 400 in the DRZ if memory serves?

A VanVan 400 would've sold well I reckon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Abba stand swing arm removal kit fit straight onto the bottom rear peg hanger and sets the bike up nicely to work on.

Oil filter, oil, air filter and plug changed. New exhaust on - sounds great, sprockets on.

Got a fender extender for the front guard.

Started cleaning the crap off around the swing arm before I put the rear wheel back on and then the chain.

Lastly battery to be fitted.

10. .
    Looking how low tech and thin some of the metal is on the bike I think that putting a 400 in it would be scary! I had a Yami XT350 once, it was slower than Slowey McSlow from Slowville and if you forgot to turn the fuel tap off it wouldn't kick over for 20 mins - lasted 2 weeks before I sold it.

Back to today: Battery on, fenda extender on, chain on and adjusted. just needs a clean and a ride. My hope is the same as noobie's comment "A good alternative to a scooter just to run around town on."

11. Great lil bikes .... the early carb models are pretty spendy now . They come in 200cc as imports until a couple of years ago when you could buy them in the UK

Helpful friendly bunch on the forum http://suzukivanvan.forumandco.com/login

My old one ..
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Looks good!

I did try and sign up to that forum but I am still waiting for authorisation. Is it still active?

First ride out on it today. I can safely say that the skin on the rice pudding is safe!! But loads of fun.

13. Theres a chunky front wheel mod that people do...my mate has just bought a brand new one hes customizing...with the front wheel mod...

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Yeah , it’s still active , with a Fat front wheel for sale on there too
    (Rear wheel rim respoked onto a front hub so both wheels are the same fat rear size)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. I am off to try and join again.

16. Still waiting for the first details to be activated from a few days ago. Just tried to join again and waiting for that to be activated

17. Cool bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I like those vanvans. Funky looking and the perfect commuter bike imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information