1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bt Intercom/headset With A 3.5mm Jack For Earbuds

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by tzoykas, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Hello everybody

I recently bought a set of superb custom earplugs with integrated speakers. This is the only way I could think of to dampen sound effectively but not sacrifice sound clarity for music and calls during my trips. These come with a 3.5mm male jack (as expected). Now, I am looking for an intercom system that has either the female jack integrated or has an adapter to accommodate the earbuds. However, the problem is that I cannot find a system that can have the speakers installed in the helmet AND choose between the different set of speakers (when no earbuds are connected the sound goes to the system's original speakers and when I plug the earbuds, the sound goes to them instead of the OEM speakers).

Has anybody any experience with such a system? I have found so far:
    • the Sena 10R that unfortunately has a fixed wiring to the device, so every time you want to change output you need to disconnect one side and connect the other but since the wiring that needs to be connected would be inside the helmet it's a no go.
    • the Interphone Avant which only has an adapter for earbuds COMBINED with a microphone (which I don't know if it will work if I connect only the earbuds. Maybe this cancels the boom microphone that comes with the device).
    • the Interphone Tour, that most probably does what I want but is from an older line and I fear that its updates may be coming to their end.
    I haven't seen any Cardo device that can connect earbuds

Has any of you used such an arrangement that can verify/refute my claims and maybe share his/her experience?

Thanks

2. I have a couple of Cardo Scala’s bought for the same reason as I wanted to connect a 3.5mm.
    Did use it for a while but the speakers with the Cardo that fit in the helmet sound good and the convenience of not getting caught on the headphones cable each time meant I now just use it fully integrated.
    You can tell the difference in sound, but the lack of fiddling with cables won me over.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hi, I use sena 20s which has a 3.5mm jack.
    I use a £3.50 6" curly extension (3.5mm Male to 3.5mm female) so that the cable from the earbuds has some give.
    Into which I have two sets I use. the one is a set of Shure 535 with Custom Sleeves so they have a bowl fit.
    the second is a set of ACS Silicon custom fit earbuds.

Other options for you are Ultimateears (based in Orpington) or Snugs
    Personally I find this works amazing with my other half on the back, my phone for entertainment and my tomtomrider for directions.

The Earbuds I use daily and have done for 4 years now and they are superb for me. ACS did the Shure sleves for me some years ago.

Hope that helps
    C

• Like Like x 1
  4. I bought a BT us it that y pi plug the headphones into, carried in my top pocket, then link phone and nav to that. Cheaper, easier, less obtrusive. Was recommended on here, I’ll see if I can find the name.

5. Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up buying a Cardo Packtalk Slim and it seems to be everything I want an intercom to be. It has the 3.5mm jack and the voice commands are a game changer for me. It works really well and it has the smallest profile possible. Very well accommodated in my HJC R-PHA 70 helmet. For the speaker equipped earplugs I chose Custom Fit Guards Lab and the final result is great. Excellent sound quality and perfect fit. They use very soft silicon for the ear canal which makes them very comfortable for long journeys and their sound proofing quality is excellent. Even better than the Lazer Lite disposable ones. Only thing that's missing now is to try it with a bunch of riders ...

#5 tzoykas, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. Let me know how you get on or give me nudge for a ride out :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's a great offer but I have two problems: the 1800 miles between us and that I might need a Visa if I manage to cover them ... :)
    Feel free to contact me if you ever find yourself in my (wider) neighborhood

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. If I can nudge this a little? Another vote for ultimateear.com here. I use mine with the Sena 10R, and an earbud adaptor. Everything is inside the helmet, I just need to remember to unplug the earbuds from the helmet when I take it off!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information