1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building A Dirty 2 Stroke, But Have Issues With The V5

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Phill748, May 20, 2020.

1. So, I have a RGV250 that I've been meaning to collect for a while, at one point it was a seriously sorted stage 3 racebike with kit ignition and pipes etc, however sitting for 20 years hasn't done it any good. The issue is that it has no V5, it's long since gone and not been SORN. I also don't know who's name the V5 was in.

So, has anyone had any experience of trying to get a V5 for a project like this? am I liable for some sort of fine for back tax or some other issue or is it more simple than I suspect? in an ideal world they would just write to the original owner and if no response received just switch it over but I doubt it's that simple.

I don't want to bother starting the project unless I can sort the V5 out. I'm getting the bike and spares for £500 and with a V5 it's probably worth 2-3 times that but it's more that it needs at least £1500 spending and I'm not going to do that on a bike i can't register.

Ultimately the idea would be to build it with a more modern tyga kit on it as the frame and forkes/brakes and wheels are in good solid condition with almost no scratches or damage.

2. Apply for a v5 using the v62 form
    Dvla write to the name listed on their database.
    If they don't hear back, or the person says it's not theirs anymore, they issue you with a new v5

3. Like he said ^^^

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

It costs extra.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I'm okay with the cost of £25 or whatever it is, my issue is that I don't want to get stung with a massive fine, and nowhere does it say about that.

5. Do you have a number plate for it? It isn’t that expensive to do a vehicle check to find out if it’s been listed as stolen or has outstanding finance owing against it.

If it has been paid out as a “write off” the previous owner has no claim over it and the insurance company will have disposed of it, but you would want to know if it has been recorded as structurally damaged so cannot be returned to the road.

Incidentally, the log book states on it (When you get one) that it doesn’t provide proof of ownership, it just means they are the Registered Keeper to whom summonses and other official documents should be sent!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. How long have you owned it? :thinkingface:

7. I don't yet, well it's with a mate who bought it 5-6 years back with teh hope of doing track days, and he hasn't. he never bothered with the V5 and so it's in the name of the guy he bought it from. We actually have the V5, do in theory could do a change of owner but I'm weary.

8. Tax Due..... October 1994... eek

9. Just do it, you'll be fine :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oooo pics

11. Phil this might be a very bad idea. Perhaps you should pass and sell this beastie to me!

12. if i was to dig through my stuff, i might find a fair chunk of engine for one of them. i cant mind if it was chucked or not.

13. Do you really want to see pics? I feel you are going to be seriously underwhelmed

14. @Phill748 just get your mate to give you an invoice for it and then you, as the new owner, re-register it. Having just bought it you won't be liable for any back tax on the RFL or fines for having not SORN'd it; how could you be when you did't own it, that's the previous owner(s) liability. You'll be grand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Was there not a start date where before that didn't apply anyway? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. When I say
    Trouble is I know the guy on the log book via friends of friends, so it's one of those situations where if he gets sent a stroppy letter from DVLA it will be a bit embarrassing. I dunno, to me it's worthless without a V5.

17. Ring the DVLA and ask them - can't see it being an issue. You don't have to disclose the reg, just tell them the last date taxed and ask if it's an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. He won't get sent the letter though and if he does he just has to reply that he sold the bike back in ............... whenever he gave it to the current keeper. As you say, it's of no use to you without a current and valid V5 and strictly speaking it is/was the responsibility of the friend of the friend.

19. yeah, I think rather than use the V5 I have, which will imply that it's been handed around with a V5, I'll apply for one as suggested above as if I have no idea what the V5 owner is or was. It's a ball ache but in honesty this and the state of the engine are the bggest hurdles.

I priced up the Tyga kit last night, £1100 in bodywork etc, not cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Have you seen this one on the Rd LC crazy forum

112DF8E2-9E99-4A04-9C6A-DACBB6D78130.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information