1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Buying Advice - What To Look Out For

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Richrox986, Sep 19, 2018.

1. I’ve only made it twice this year, would have been 3 times if the tricoloure didn’t throw itself on the floor whilst warming up one Wednesday, bloody side stands :triumph:

2. Sorry to hear that, hope it wasn't too badly damaged.

APOLOGIES for Off-Topic - will stop now :upyeah:

3. Totalled nearly £2k, broke the left clip-on, lever, grip all the panels and chipped the tank.
    It’s only money o_O

Think we’re OK with the off topic, the OP has found his bike, and what’s wrong with a bit of thread hijacking amongst friends lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hope you were covered for that/no claims not hit too bad.

5. Didn’t claim on the insurance as don’t want silly premiums for the next 5yrs,

Plus if the insurance company decided to make it a cat N then it would have effected the resale value me thinks.

I tried to look positive at the situation once I had kicked crap out of the bike :confused:

My logic at the time was, it’s stopped me from riding as I could have potentially been in an accident “things happen for a reason etc”.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The "stuff"is the irritation in life:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Took delivery of the bike yesterday. Did 40 miles yesterday and 100 miles today.

I expected the riding position so am not surprised by the heavy on the wrists feeling. Rode it first in my textile/fabric and slid about on the saddle like a giraffe on roller skates! May need a more abrasive seat cover.

The feeling of riding the V-Twin and the way you feel like you are riding the engine rather than the bike took me back to when I had my 888. Always being in the right gear and always being able to pull away. Nothing beats the sound of the Ducati V-Twin.

The wing mirror has come lose and is wobbling, but is held in by two pinch clips. Assume there is a gromit screw in the middle? They are black and don't feel like a heavy quality, looking they may be after market. Where the OEM's all red? any advice on how to remove and tighten them appreciated!

Loving my 996 and can't wait to get out again!

IMG_5852[1].JPG IMG_5855[1].JPG IMG_5868[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. There’s an Allen bolt in the middle, think it’s about 8mm, should just need a tweak to tighten, that’s all it should be.

Not all models had red mirrors as standard, some were black, IIR

Tip, ride as fast as you can to take the weight off your wrists, they don’t like sub 60mph the 996’s

Enjoy

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. They like it rough too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Brilliant, I'll quote this to the police when I am in a 30 zone!

I get what you mean though, my memories from 888 ownership came flooding back. Best to roll on and off the throttle than sit with it held at the same point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Congrats, they’re lovely bikes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information