1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Suffolk Duke, Feb 25, 2021.

1. The standard Termi on a PP is just an end can. More bling than a silencer as the real silencing takes place in the catalizer carbuncle.
    As you say, decat the system and get a proper aftermarket silencer to hear the true sound. I've got an Arrows full system - recommended.

2. Thanks for the advice and yes that makes perfect sense.

3. Just a thought but can you replace the Cat section with one with the Cat and then I assume the Termi end can would sound a lot better? Just thinking in case I find a bike without an after market exhaust that is too quiet but I can't afford to replace the whole system.
    Any thoughts?

4. Do you mean remove the cat, fit a Decat a pipe and then use the stubby Termi? I know someone who did that, and maybe there's one or two on here as well, but that makes for a very loud system that would probably fail its MOT quite apart from annoying the neighbours.
    If you remove the cat, or even eviscerate it, you will need and decent aftermarket tail pipe with a degree of sound deadening IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hi Coman, yes that was exactly what I was getting at. Thanks again for advice and I won't go down that route!

6. Anyone got any feedback on a QD exhaust system - twin can, over and under? Seen a Multi 1200 for sale with one fitted.

#46 Suffolk Duke, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  7. I had a mivv suono on my 2012S, noticeable improvement in mid range shunt but it was bastard loud. Did my head in to be honest and used a chunk more fuel. Heated grips failed, replaced with genuine, they got so hot I blistered my hands. Fuel sender failed, they all do. Rear brake utter shit but I only used it for hill starts with my heel. Same problem for many I think. 15000 mile desmo service, I removed tank and bodywork and took the bike to main dealer in January when they do reduced labour costs. Didn’t need any shims, just belts so no more expensive than any belt service. Fantastic bike, 5 years of loyal service, does everything, scratching, continental touring, school run, commuting the lot. Onlins was lovely but I’m very impressed with the skyhook on the 1260 I’ve now got. Great bikes.

8. Hi, test rode a Multistada today at last - I loved it! It was so nice to ride, didn't feel like a 1200 size wise and so nimble but I guess you all know this anyway! However, I need some more advice please:

1) The bike shop said it comes only with 1 x key as standard - I am sure that is nor correct but can anyone confirm this?
    2) The bike seemed to really clunk into first gear when stationary - is this normal?
    3) The oil sight glass was a bit milky but also had some black dots inside - never seen that before - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

9. 1: 1 red key and the black transmitter key.
    2: Normal.
    3: Moisture and will burn off once the bike has had a good run. Same as on mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks Siddo :)

11. 16E4553A-2721-4CE6-90E6-9FF200AAA851.jpeg My ‘13 bike came with 3 keys, 1 red cut key, 1 red blank and the remote key.
    I would contact a Ducati dealer and ask them the cost implications of a bike with a missing RED key?

12. Thanks Ackers
    I don't think I will buy one without the red key as I am sure it will be hassle and expensive to get a replacement. Have a couple of bike options so will see...
    Also, any advice on tyres and chain & sprockets?
    One bike I have seen needs all these and I was thinking of Pirelli Angel GT's and DID c&s's.

13. I’m sure it would also affect your sale when you move it on if the key is missing?

14. Whatever tyre manufacturer you favour. You'll get loads of opinions but it'll be hard to find bad ones these days. I use Michelin Road 5.
    DID is good for the chain.
    You want a good chunk off if you have to replace these.

15. Ensure you get the PIN code for the keyless ignition, and change it for something personal. When you leave the keyless fob at the last filling station, and pull up to the next one with a few litres left, you’ll be thankful...

16. Thanks for the advice. I assume the pin code normally with the manual or on a card supplied with it? Just in case the owner doesn't know.

17. It’s unlikely to be the factory setting so you’ll need to get an authorised dealer to re set it if the seller doesn’t know it. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks Andy I will check.
    Any advice on what new chain & sprockets to buy and also what teeth combinations people use?

19. Can you talk me through this... Was the suspension upgrade the plug & play SCU CHIP or other work?
    How did you find the bike with and without that upgrade?

#59 flatairbag, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  20. IMO, don't buy cheap, Renthal or AFAM are fine. Chains are the same as tyres, everyone has their favourite, again, avoid cheap. I use RK. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information