1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cagiva 650 To 750 Track Bike

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by ColinL, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Carbs needed a lift so off to Ducati Paddy.
    upload_2021-3-7_14-6-19.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Back from Paddy
    upload_2021-3-7_14-7-51.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seat upholstery by Saddlecraft
    upload_2021-3-7_14-9-26.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cometic in the States can supply any gasket, usually at reasonable prices with pretty prompt service.
    I've used them quite a few times over the years, it's Top Quality kit IME.

Steve R

www.cometic.com

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Thanks Steve. I’ll give them a try.

6. Meanwhile, back at the main project. Front end built up an I now have half a rolling chassis.
    upload_2021-3-7_20-52-37.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. upload_2021-3-9_19-39-54.jpeg
    re-plating some of the special fasteners that are no longer available.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Any recommendations for rear shocks? I’m thinking Maxton?

9. Maxton are very good I also rate nitron as well

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. One Bruce Anstey used to be rather quick in the early nineties club / BEARS racing a 750 Cagiva Alazzurra in N.Z.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You can spend a lot of money on rear shocks before you'll find anything that works better than Hagon's.
    Back in the day Sports Motorcycles ran Girlings (Now Hagons) on their race bikes, they were good enough for Mike Hailwood to win the '78 F1 TT and Tony Rutter to win the F2 TT.

Steve R

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks to Cookster and Steve ref shox. I have Hagons on my Honda K4 race bike and they certainly do the job. If I ever get far enough into this project I have some good options.

13. Ohh Err missus, few things as sexy as an open mouthed DellOrto. Love the way they suck and swallow...and the noises they make doing so!

14. It’s 2021, not 1978. Depends on how much adjustability you want.

15. New Carillo’s and Omega Pistons are slightly different to standard so I need to adjust piston-head geometry to achieve a 25thou squish band. I’m going down the base gasket thickness route rather than machining the piston. Two reasons, first I’ve had the crank balanced (Andrew’s Precision) so I don’t want to change the piston rate. And second, gasket is reversible.adjustable for the future. I’ve knocked up a range of gasket thicknesses so I can get the squish right using plastigauge. Any recommendations from anyone who’s been down this route before is very welcome.
    interesting that the two ‘Athena’ gaskets are different thicknesses, one @03mm and the other @0.5mm.
    upload_2021-3-13_13-23-45.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. My old 750 Alazzurra ended up in NZ from the UK, a Kiwi named Ken Livingstone bought it from Moto Cinelli in 1990 after I had part ex,d it. He raced it in the uk before taking it home.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 02DE5EDA-CCC4-4623-9602-985EF948A323.jpeg
    carbs back from ‘Ducati Paddy’
    Great service as always. Look like new with Flip Top chokes.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I see you're carbs are 36mm, we used to run 40mm on 750 pantaha.

19. Good tip, thanks. I’m new to old school Ducati’s. I’ve a long list of laverda’s but have dipped my toe into this project so I’m doing a lot of experienced guessing.
    I have build up the engine with new bearings, seals, rods, balanced crank, pistons etc so am hoping that I’ve sorted a bottom end that will not need any immediate work.
    I suspect that a lot of performance (other than the extra cubes) will come from Head work. At this stage I’m using standard heads so think the 36 PHF’s will work best. I’m starting with 140 mains and 50 pilots so probably soft and under fuelled for the extra capacity? I’m guessing here so any advice gratefully accepted.
    My basic plan from here is:
    1.Build it up as is and see where we are from a ‘rideabily’ view.
    2. Dyno to get a baseline and tune fuelling.
    3. Electronic Ignition maybe? Sasche?
    4. Ask about Heads and Carbs. I think, looking at the standard set up, this could be a big jump in performance. (I already have the cam cover oil feed and oil cooler ready to go.

any comments and advice on my direction/thinking gratefully accepted.

20. Engine nearly in.
    upload_2021-4-6_19-53-12.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information