1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All R Owners, Well Nearly All

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 18, 2020.

1. I just want to check something that came about from a few other threads on here over the past few months.

The engines Ducati homologated for racing that then ended up in road bikes, do they all have a B in the engine number?

eg are they all ZDMenginedisplacementW4Benginenumber

as opposed to ZDMenginedisplacementW4*enginenumber

So we’re looking :
    748R
    996R
    998S (as that has the 996R engine)
    749R
    999R
    1098R

perhaps there are more I’ve missed off, feel free to add.

It’s not what’s on the V5 as DVLA have been known to make mistakes, it’s what’s actually stamped on the engine crankcase that counts.

So when you’re looking at buying a 2nd hand bike and the vendor says, ‘I’ve dropped an R engine in it mate’ can this be verified without going back to Ducati?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'll check mine and let you know.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. No :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I thought the B represented Bologna, might be wrong though and that W was for water cooled, again might be wrong.

here’s mine. 998S Biposto.
    C146C325-8412-4BFD-8CD2-B30D601A3F27.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. There's a B visible here on my 748R UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1880.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Presumably I'm the only one who can't look past

'ZDMenginedisplacementW4Benginenumber'?

Thought so o_O:eyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Sort of reminds me of what rhymes with Orange......Boringe :thinkingface:

8. Ahh, go on, have a look, heaven knows how many Rs you have in your shed so I do realise it might take some time :D
    I was always told ZDM was the manufacturer code for Ducati (and engines are produced only in Bologna aren’t they?) and W is for water cooled:upyeah:

ps. I just checked my Monster and it’s ZDM1078AC———- ie Air Cooled. Im presuming the 4 in the W4 means it’s got 4 valves per cylinder:thinkingface: but will now check my ST2 to prove/disprove that theory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I’m going to be asking for a pie chart of the results, you do know that don’t you :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 6 of my R’s don’t have a B :bucktooth:

11. So.... which ones? That’s what I’m trying to ascertain.

Why the B? What’s it mean? Why on some but not others, even in the same model eg 748? When Luigi assembles an engine on Monday that’s got different internals to others of the same displacement how does Mario, the following Friday, know which engine he should be putting into which frame?

12. 2 x 999
    4 x 1098

13. That's lovely mate I miss my old 853 track bike :worried:

14. Maybe they stopped the B after 2001 :thinkingface:

15. Maybe they’re not really Rs :thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface:

:joy::joy::joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Just give me the data and I'll whip one up :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. RR’s :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  18. My late 2001 748R (02 model) starts:

ZDM748WB

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I can't get to mine.... SWMBO has covered them in kitchen appliance boxes in protest of me not finishing the new kitchen.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information