1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All R Owners, Well Nearly All

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 18, 2020.

1. IIRC the spec of the engine was the same as the 1198 and it came with a slipper and DTC.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. UK bike.
    1098R is 1198cc but not “bog standard 1198” at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Well that was enlightening.

4. There are quite a few differences in the 1098R engine compared to the 1198... Titanium con rods and valves, sandcast cases, magnesium cam covers... probably more but would need to utilise Google... .. think it also produces 15+hp on the 1198 too...

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. 749R MK1 on a 2004 plate
    ZDM749W4C-0000??

Just a 749 on a 2006 plate to compare
    ZDM749W4-0100??

998s on a 2002 plate
    ZDM998W48-00???? (log book shows W48 and not W4B).. will photo the engine later

Edit to correct numbers

#45 AirCon, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
  6. That’s a 998S and B not an 8:upyeah:

It would seem Ducati then switched to a C for the 749/999 Rs and then dropped it altogether for the 1098.

Anyone got a Pani R?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. That’s what I always thought, But was just checking.

8. Pani R
    ZDM1198WL

9. No letter at all in place of the B on 999R's

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. WL, so not even a number for the number of valves per head :thinkingface:

Hmm, the plot thickens and the theory needs tweaking.

#50 West Cork Paul, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  11. It’s got FAF overstamped over the whole number. That means Fast As Fuck!!:astonished::grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Or Fragile And Flaky,
    I'll get me coat:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. No... definitely an 8... I'm reading them from the V5c... SWMBO has buried the bikes under a sea of cardboard boxes

14. Could be a typo on the Log Book:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'm not moving all those boxes. It would trigger a chain of events that would take all my spare time for months may be years to resolve.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Maybe get someone more stealth like to have a look :eyes:

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. ZDMH indicates a VIN not the engine number - do your engine numbers in the logbooks just have ZDM at the beginning - just for accuracy’s sake for generations to come when this forum is used a historical reference for all things Ducati! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sorry, Boringe as far as I know isn't anything. It's bizarrely something that's randomly popped up over the years whenever some people are asked what rhymes with orange, there'd be a pause and all of a sudden they'd blurt out 'BORINGE?' :joy:

Then if you quickly ask them what rhymes with silver as a follow-up question it's extremely likely they'll blurt out 'Bilver'

Just flash backs from my more youthful days this, very immature but hey :upyeah::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. My 998R does not have a B in it.

20. As suggested above - nothing after 2001 does :):upyeah: yours was the first R model that dropped the B.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information