1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Anyone Id These Wheels?

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by Mitch-D, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Haha, i know what you mean!
    Great for riding, not great for cruising.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Well after a bit of trawling, I have found the wheels. Not any close to understanding any key dimensions yet, but I have something to refer to at the Duc dealer now.

That’s why there are no makings, as this printed information has been painted over. Of course..

D5E61450-AE8D-4131-BD3A-567C33281EBC.jpeg D5E61450-AE8D-4131-BD3A-567C33281EBC.jpeg 6A454128-8FE9-4214-834F-8F813DDBBF21.png

3. Can someone please get a steel rule and give me a length value between the brake disc inner face and the sprocket inner face on their sport 1000? would be really helpful. :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Or gt1000 all are the same.

5. 178mm

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you Sir. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  7. the disc to sprocket distance may not be not relevant. I say that because recently I was involved in installing Marchesini forged rims ina Sport classic, and the conversion included swapping the rear caliper and its holder.
    The Sport Classic caliper holder is very offset and holds the caliper considerably to the left, the mount used with the Marchesini rim I was supplied with is 'flat' and the caliper is kept to the right, I would estimate the Marchesini forged rim I mounted holds the disk close to an inch to the right or farther from the sprocket which must be held as original.

8. Thanks for the info. I guess it all depends on the wheels. Agreed, sprocket must be aligned, the brake can be moved.
    Not having an original set of wheels to hand makes all of this a bit tricky.

I have now measured, measured again, made some 3D printed spacers to check the assembly and alignment.
    I am happy now and am getting some new spacers made to include the tweets I have made.

9. This was part of the investigation checking the stack of the wheel and play with the sprocket and brake offsets to establish what is aligned correctly.

63B96DCF-92D7-44DB-AB5A-3E9272F90321.jpeg C1517863-C49E-4D2A-88F8-82B84F1822E0.jpeg B7499F5A-3D0A-46AF-830F-88476E87044D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hi!
    Don't suppose you have the original rims up for sale somewhere do you?
    Thx
    Grant

11. Morning, I don't have the original wheels. They are somewhere in the USA...

12. Thanks for the reply, if anyone else has a couple of stock spoked wheels I'd be interested.

Cheers
    Grant

13. Oh dear. After all that faffing around getting the wheel alignment right and learning about magnesium wheels in preaparation for correct treatment and paint.. it was time to knock the bearings out and start the strip and refinish... the bearings did not want to come out.. because they have been bonded in place..

14. 0.5mm ‘shell’ of what looks like epoxy glue...
    EC9DF4F8-0B59-42A7-9188-DB89CA927E82.jpeg F764BF16-3CE2-426B-A88E-E72AE0F8B565.jpeg

15. So my lockdown project has now changed to which wheels now?...

OZ Piega’s, 2k
    Alpina Spokes 2k
    Monster 5 spokes 1k.

16. Can you not turn them out and go for a bigger bearing. There might be one that is close to the original size or you could get some ground to suit? Perhaps turning the rim out by 2mm diameter is possible and fit a steel or bronze sleeve to accept new bearings. Seems a shame to scrap those nice mag wheels.

17. Like your thinking, I was on the same idea today. Went to visit my local engineering shop. We measured up the thicknesses and decided, front wheel could be honed and fitted with a larger diameter bearings. The rear cannot jump up a size, as the next size up is too big, therefore rear wheel requires a hone and then sleeved. For the mounting adaptors and rear wheel sleeves we are looking at 400-500. Plus bearings and the refinishing costs which are there anyway.

They are so nice aesthetically and weigh next to nothing. To replace these like for like it will be expensive. Thinking maybe ST4 5 spokes and a refurb to vintage gold, or Piega’s and paint them. I don’t think the shiny gold will work on my SC.

#38 Mitch-D, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I like them but a bit aggressive for the look I’m going for.

19. Not cheap but as you say to replace them is going to be a lot more.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information