1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can You Turn A Slick?!

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by JoePeps, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Just sat here thinking if it’s possible turn a slick around?!
    With most UK circuits being clockwise obviously the right of the tyre gets a killing and the left has plenty of meat left.

In my mind there’s no reason that you can’t spin it over and get an extra bit of life because there’s no water dispersion you worry about, but I’ve never heard of it so there must be something?!

2. Rear yes
    Front no

• Like Like x 1
  3. I did a bit of googling on this a while back - loads of people flip tyres to get extra life out of them and don’t have any issues.

Potentially the tyre can break down or delaminate due to the stresses being in the wrong direction for the banding and junctions in the construction so there must be an element of risk.

I’m about to flip mine - I put the front on backwards from the beginning accidentally and haven’t had any issues.

Metzeler have brought out a trackday slick that is designed specifically to be flipped https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products/tyres/racetec-td-slick.

Although it does mention rear only!

I have been using the Compk slicks and found they have lot’s of grip and longevity it the level of riding i’m doing - makes things far cheaper than running Supercorsas - apparently the trackday slicks don’t offer the same ultimate levels of grip but most riders never need it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m tempted to try it and get an extra day out of a rear next time around. Is it something tyre fitters are likely to refuse to do?

Might have a go with the metzelers next year and see how they get on. Loving V02’s and having not enjoyed Dunlop’s I am a bit cautious to move away from them again.

5. V02’s have got a great reputation- I would have tried them but they don’t come in the right size. If they are working well I wouldn’t swap.

No idea if the tyre fitters would have a problem - might refuse due to possible liability?

I do them myself so it’s my risk!

You’re welcome to take a slight detour to Woodhall on one of your Cadwell trips and pop in and we can flip it over!

6. Love a Dunlop me. You were on the me 106/108?

7. Not had an issue with my tyre guy flipping a rear, but I wouldn't flip a front.

8. Might take you up on that! What kit have you got for changing the tyres over? I’m tempted to buy some kit and be able to change my own, and buy cheaper tyres off the net!

Yeah, just found they were less grippy than the V02’s and wore just as fast, and more expensive. Horses for courses as my mate loves them but nowhere near as much confidence in them personally.
    My traction control was going mad all the time with them and only really get the odd flicker with the Bridgestones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. nice one thanks, looks like that will be a winter purchase. Is it easy enough to learn to use?

11. Apparently they only work on warm days. I tried them in 9deg and bought a set of SuperCorsa after 2 sessions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I did 6 months ago....changed a rear yesterday.....first time i did it - took about an hour and a bit - yesterday - did it in 20 mins (Wheel already out). Im getting better at it each time and find something each time that makes it a little quicker....bought a set of supercorsa's and only changed the rear....got a bit left on the front corsa III still....bought them from demon tweeks (cheapest on ebay at the moment). Quite satisfying changing your own tyres....another feather in the bow and all that...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Just to say if youre thinking of doing it ill give you a run down of the tools i bought.....ill put some pics up also...

14. They are odd sizes but many use them on 899’s

15. It’s easy enough but can be a faff without all the pro kit. YouTube cable tie method, plenty of home changers use that.

I have a bead breaker, levers, tyre soap, weights, balancer. Iirc probably cost about £120 for everything.

Key is warmth: get the tyre coming off and going on as warm as poss. I put my warmers on. Makes the sides softer. On slicks it may mean you’re using a heat cycle, so if that’s a worry (never was for me) just leave by a rad on or even just in the sun a few hours will all help.

16. That would be awesome if you could mate.

Yeah can throw the warmers on easy enough. Not bothered about heat cycles personally either, only getting 3 days out of a rear so can’t see it making too much difference in the grand scheme of things.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Demon tweeks will have everything you need. Probably M&P too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. As a suggestion I think a fair few would be interested in DIY tyre changing. Could one of you who do it start up a dedicated thread so it does not get lost to interested parties?
    @LiveFast...... @comfysofa @bradders

19. Happy to but im not the admin....just come back to this...been busy all day....ill take some photos in a bit...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information