1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Seen 'on Wrong Side Of Road' By Harry Dunn Base

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Its interesting to wonder why Americans that have experienced European cars, still want to buy shite American ones. Or maybe its just indicative of their mental aptitude. Of course not all Americans buy US cars.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know what they're buying these days but back in the 80s it was BMWs

3. Not difficult to work the one out, not difficult at all.

Take a stab at it, Jez! You got this!

4. Got an American car? If not you are the perfect specimen to explain!

5. You can do this, Jez. Why do many Americans buy American cars, given the choice?

6. Well I wasn't there in the eighties, but since then there must have been a change.

Theres a lot of people buying non American ones which is a good sign. There are far too many buying homemade which is puzzling!

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-u-s-auto-sales-figures-by-brand/

7. Wait. You genuinely don't get it?

Nah, just kidding. You know why many Americans buy American cars given the choice but you're too embarrassed and ashamed to acknowledge it publicly.

That's OK. You're still my cuddly forum buddy.

8. They are given the choice, many Americans choose other brands.

I am not embarassed or ashamed of anything whatsoever (anymore LOL).

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. As lives are at stake, I’m sure a way could be found to give a similar perk of equivalent value but in a slightly different form.

10. Is it bad to buy homemade products ?

They are proud to buy homemade products ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. No. Only if you hate your fellow countryman is it bad.

Stealthy Alan is sidling up to the truth of it here. Stealthy old Alan.

Many Americans buy American cars because they are patriotic, they love their country, they love the idea of fellow Americans having good manufacturing jobs thus being able to provide for their families.

You know ... the exact opposite of Brits.

You can see now why Jez was keeping shtum!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Surely product purchase should be based on merit, availability and price?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. As someone who's business means I visited the US bases in the UK very regularly I can refute the driving on the right story. All road networks on the bases I have visited (which is all of them, including many more that were closed in the 90s) are operated under UK road rules and regulations, the road markings are generally in accordance with UK regulations. US personnel stationed on these bases are required to drive on the same side of the road as everywhere else in the UK. Most vehicles you encounter on these bases are RHD but there is a small but significant proportion of imported LHD cars including the official US vehicle fleets. There does indeed seem to be an increased incidence of accidents around these bases which is probably inevitable, unfortunately

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Yes, sadly that doesn’t really answer my question though.

Is it bad to buy homemade products ?

15. Maybe they're just pissed when the leave or return to the base and forget which side of the road they ought to be driving on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Depends what it is. I'm with @Jez900ie on this one, buy the best you can afford. It's your money, you pays your money you takes your choice. Why buy something that's homemade if it's shite or there's a comparable, in what it does, but significantly better product out there made overseas. Buying homemade, just coz its homemade, even if it's shite, just to keep people in jobs goes is wrong; those people making the shite product need to know and need to make a better product, IMHO:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I recall being in the car with my Dad driving, many years ago, in Florida. My Dad had driven for many years in the UK.

Anyway, we were on a lonely stretch of country road and my Dad just suddenly without a word switched to the left-hand side of the carriageway. I asked him what he was doing and he reverted to the right-hand side.

I can only conclude that there was a lack of visual cues, other traffic, etc and a form of "muscle memory" took over. I find it easy to assume that this could be the case with the tragic death of Harry (this is not an attempt to reduce the size of, or any culpability relating to, the tragedy).

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. What if the homemade product isn't shit ... but angry bigots in another country, who have no interest in buying the product, keep insisting that it is shit? What then?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I just don’t think she gives a s*** she didn’t when she left the base and she didn’t when she went home quietly and she doesn’t now because if she did she would do the right thing to give Harry’s family some peace but she won’t even do that for a family
    Shameful

• Agree Agree x 8
  20. Of course not; buy products of whatever origin you like, ideally using merit availability & price to decide.

If you genuinely want to help your countrymen to feed their families, because you are patriotic, & lurve your country, lurve the idea of fellow patriots having good manufacturing jobs, make certain that you do not just buy just because its homemade. Otherwise these manufacturers will be left behind and you will have the opposite effect to what you envisaged. Just look at the explosion of Japanese and European cars around the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information