1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Seen 'on Wrong Side Of Road' By Harry Dunn Base

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Feb 14, 2020.

1. She and the USA had plenty of opportunity to face the music, however, she chose not too, or perhaps, her husband chose not too on her behalf, played the Diplomatic Immunity card and legged it to the USA from where, even the US Govt, refuses to hand her over. Just coz she's married to a spook and just coz her actions despooked him and brought him to wider attention does not justify her actions. IF she were to give herself up to the authorities that would in no way jeopardise her husband's job related actions past or future. A deal could be struck to serve any sentence in the USA. Or, this being America, a significant financial bung could be sent the way of the family and some sort of memorial monument erected to Harry Dunne. However, she choses to hide behind DI - it's not on.

Alternatively, perhaps she was the spook and her husband was a house-husband:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I completely agree and have yet to hear or read an opinion which explains why this is not entirely true.

I did read that it is now claimed that Sacoolas was or is a CIA operative herself, which may mean -if true- that she could also be tried as a spy since she was not registerd as a diplomat with the UK government. Still I this is heresay and I don't claim knowledge one way or another.

A disgraceful attitude, mirrored by her government is an awful thing especially when combined with the tragic death of a young innocent man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I can’t believe one mother could do this to another mother

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Or that anyone would attempt to defend her actions really. Except Trump but given his form who is really surprised...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I still think the parents should start a civil action in the US, there'd be plenty of lawyers would take that on on a no win no fee basis.

I totally recognise no amount of money will bring their son back but inflicting pain, even if its only stress and financial, is a way of getting back and curing one's own pain. More commonly referred to as 'revenge'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hi Denzil, How are you getting on?
    Love to @Denzilina :)
    The Malibu we had handled nicely, rode nicely and I think had a 3 cylinder turbo engine that made it reasonably lively without drinking fuel.
    Mrs OR was very sceptical at first but ended up liking it better than my 3 series.
    For the roads we were driving, it was perfect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Some days, Jez, your brain seems to work well.

Then there are the other days ...

I am so sorry this happens to you.

8. I used to drive a fair bit in Europe & US too, usually LHD manual hire cars. My biggest problem when switching sides was not to eject myself from said vehicle via the door handle when it was time to change up

It also made me more vunerable to wandering onto the wrong side on the rare occassion, not just in Europe but in UK. As Denzel pointed out when there was a lack of visual clues, or when tired.

As far as this case I'm in the minority of one I guess.

Find myself very conflicted over it. Harry Dunn's death was a total tragedy, happened possibly because of a lack of concentration for a moment on the part of Ann Sacoolas. As somebody whose did exactly that myself but got away with it, I'm at odds with "hang 'er high".

I understand the family's need to assuage the loss, but (for me) as @West Cork Paul pointed out revenge is a poor motive, if it is revenge that's driving the call for justice, I don't know.

Trying to see through Ann Sacoolas' eyes, for a few seconds she made an error, it was an accident, by that I mean no intent on her part, just good old stupidity. I bet there is not a day goes by that she doesn't think about it and it will probably be with her for the rest of her days.

If she came back here she could be banged up either here or in the US. I know it's "justice" but I fail to see what good it achieves

Easy for me though I'm not HD's family.

The whole thing is just tragic but happens, by sheer fluke I've been lucky. I've done it, I've had it done to me (@finm will tell ya, ride any highland road in the summer and the risk can be high) however each time my Gods smiled on me and all I needed was a change of skiddies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. yip, I know a mechanic (who owns silver sands caravan park in Arisaig lovely white beaches give it a go) who had a head on with a tourist in a camper. luckily he had borrowed the works ranger to go home instead of using his bike. he still ended up in hospital for a week.
    i'v also followed a Chinese couple all the way from Oban to Lochgilphead and mostly on the wrong side of the 40mile journey.
    scary stuff and its always on my mind touring around in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Aye, we’ve probably all done it when abroad, sub-consciously wandered back onto the side of the road we’re used to driving on, especially when there’s no other vehicles around, myself included. My comment about ‘revenge’ was perhaps a bit flippant but it’s a natural human response to want some sort of payback. However, if I or anyone else were to cause an accident as a consequence of a lapse of concentration, regardless of whether I was on the right or wrong side of the road, I and everyone else would have to face the music. This is not a minor traffic infringement she’s pulled the DI card to avoid, but manslaughter. The death of another. The fact she (or her bosses) played the card, pulled her out the country and then the US Govt protects her is despicable IMHO.

However, I’m a firm believer in ‘what goes around comes around’ and I wouldn’t be surprised to read, some time in the future, that one of her kids has been run over by an uninsured, illegal immigrant, driver. Fate has a way of dealing with these things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. @West Cork Paul well put and I agree with all you state.

I get the family's drive for justice to an extent, that's why perhaps I should have just left well alone here and why I'm conflicted with it.

I could well be the hypocrite who was calling for "the rope" if it was one of mine, I don't know and hope I (or anybody else) ever does.

If it had been any of us (as you point out) we'd probably be facing a custodial sentence.

IF all it was down to was supidity and a momentary lapse of concentration, I still can't see what good locking somebody away does.

Is it stupid and naive to find it difficult to reconcile that the difference between me & her, came down to nothing more than sheer bloody luck?

John

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information