1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caravanners Doh!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by higgy748, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I agree entirely...
    Extra testing to prove that they are safe to be towing...
    And extra road tax !

2. Having towed box trailers, bike trailers and boat trailers ( and even towed the odd caravan for friends who needed them moving ) over the last 33 years I think I'm qualified to say towing is not simple - especially with something as big as a caravan. It takes extra care and extra skill.
    Quite apart from that - just look at the ( annual ) news stories about how many caravans are actually un-roadworthy...
    Extra testing ( to prove that the drivers are actually safe to be on the road )...
    Complulsory MoT testing for caravans ( to do away with all the "grockle sheds" )...
    Extra road tax ( to compensate for the congestion that they cause )...

And ( just to be contoversial ) ban them from the roads during the hours of daylight... You know it makes sense !

3. I wonder how many signitures we would get for a government petition for towing/mot testing?
    Though someone said something about from 1997 you need to do a test first anyway.
    Are we just being a group of people having a go at someone elses fun like others do us?

4. The MOT ing of caravans is about to happen anyway .

Theres an Extra test to be taken to tow a caravan , or tailor, that came out in 1997.

I take my caravan to germany with my 999R in the back to the nurburgring. My best lap is 8minutes 20 seconds see if you can keep up.

If you cant get past a caravan you must be the worst driver in the world. On the road they never bother me . Get a life.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh really ?

The reason I can't overtake caravans has nothing to do with my driving ability - it's because on most of the roads in Cornwall it's not actually safe to do so... On the road they may never bother YOU, but the do bother a lot of other people !
    I do not see what the connection is between being able to lap the Nordschliefe on a bike and towing a caravan, sorry...
    As for your "get a life" comment - I refer you to Mr Clarkson's comments on this subject : "I'm not the one who will be crapping in a plastic bucket this weekend..."

• Like Like x 2
  6. Whoa steady on...get used to it, they're here to stay and not going any where....well fast anyway!

Mr. Who.....does anyone actually give s**t what he says....even if it is in a plastic bucket. He only tries to provoke controversy because he actually has no personality.

By the way I'm not overly keen on caravans....or tractors....or plant machinery....or posh women going 100 yards in their giant 4x4's to drop the brats off at school, clogging the roads up, but they're here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1332484507.539631.jpg

7. The way I read this, your lap time for the 'ring was for the whole rig, car, caravan and 999R in the van. It's impressive, YouTube clip or it didn't happen.:)

I like the way you swerved the topic from caravans to your lap times...

8. Yea its pretty quick on the back of my x5. No but really people complaining about others pastimes does my head in. Next people will be saying them motor bikes are too fast too noise and should not be allowed on our 21 st century roads. You never know it might even be a caravaner. Live and let live is what I say.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

9. Live and let live

we are all different so thats all good

caravanists,bikers,walkers/ramblers...............doggers

10. On the bike? That could be interesting then!

11. Please re-read my post...
    I have no problem with eveyone liking and doing different things. Whatever hobby you want, that's fine by me.
    What I was complaining about was bad driving ( which is not restricted to people towing caravans, but does seem more prevelant with them ) and badly maintained vehicles. If you think caravans don't cause congestion have a look at the A38 between Plymouth and Exeter pretty much any weekend between May and September - little groups of three or four caravans clogging up two lanes and causing massive tail-backs is not at all uncommon...

If caravans are getting their own MoT and you need to take an extra test to tow one then obviously my views are shared by the people who make the rules...

As for the rest - get a sense of humour !

12. the roads in europe are a lot better than over here and in the south west we have some very twisty ones and you cant always see past the dam things , as a rule i overtake most things in front of me and caravan is no worse than a lorry the only diferance is a lorry is built for the job and a caravan is a add on and not always with extended mirrors , my hatred for them is totaly personal after being wiped out by one in my very early years of biking ,and spending 4 months in hospital and a further 4 in plaster was no fun .in court his excuse was i came from noware and i was going to fast , i was two up on a yamaha xs250 going up a steep hill doing no more than 40mph , he had no extended mirrors on his car as i know full well as i flew across his bonnet as he did a right turn without indicating .
    I know there is a lot of bad drivers aswell as bad riders and only some of them tow caravans its just i hate caravans and nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing a broken down one on the side of the road with a wheel missing it almost makes up for my limp

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. i have just posted this on facebook for all my biker buddies to sign

Do Not Sell My Personal Information