1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Carbon Clock Surround

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by alrighttheresham, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Few notes on the install of a clock surround as I couldn't find instructions online.

IMG_0288.JPG

Thanks to @VtwinDave for his advice with this as well this very comprehensive article from Dino - https://www.dino.co.uk/2008/06/15/removing-the-clocks-from-a-ducati-748-916/.

Before buying a surrond, understand that there is a bit of work fitting it. Also note, in my case the bike has an aftermarket screen, the angle of the screen fouls the surround when fitted, it not much, but there is some pressure being applied.

1. Remove the headlight fairing as per workshop manual - section E1

- when removing the mirrors, the centre mirror break bolt requires a torx key (size 20 on mine, seen others online saying size 15) if the fairing has an original break bolt (lots have been replaced with standard allen heads)

2. Remove the headlight (no need to unconnect, can hang), centre allen bolt (5mm) holding the headlight in place also adjusts the beam, so remember how many turns you screwed anti-clockwise, for a correct refitting. Be careful as the bolt is routed through a spring, push headlights from back to front to release from rubber grommets, spring will drop out.

IMG_0287.JPG

3. Remove the horn (to get access to temp guage retaining bolt), only need to unscrew the bracket (8mm hex, long socket ideal) it can hang like the headlight.

4. Unscrew the three nuts that hold the instrument panel to headlight support, this will allow you to move the panel up enough to get access to the individual clocks.

5. Unscrew the two nuts holding the speedo and rev / temp cluster together, careful not to drop the washers for these.

6. To fit the surround the clocks need to be removed from their housing and dropped into the surround, then placed over the housing (leave the existing foam surround) and re-assembled. When removing the clocks, on the Speedo there are a number of connectors including two bulbs being held in with rubber grommets, these can be pulled straight out by wiggling them free, same for the bulb in the oil temp clock.

IMG_0319.JPG

7. Place clocks into surround (I had to Dremmel the temp gauge hole as it was a little tight) and reassemble.

IMG_0321.JPG

Hope this helps anyone else, having a go, Damian.

• Like Like x 1
  2. It’s a lot of work fitting them but worth it in the end , looks great :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information