1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Fibre Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by XH558, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Oh dear oh dear.... The Daily Mail. You WILL be judged.

Anyhow, I use GT85. Seems to lift residual adhesive etc. But that looks a bit next level. Not as harsh as brake cleaner etc.. :upyeah:

2. You should be writing the next Harry Potter book;),it's just sitting on top of the surface and needs careful keyhole separation surgery & not black magic....experiment on your own C.F,:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. The paper was a sunday hand me down where i'd a meal that day,i never ever purchase newspapers....
    But your right it's heavy duty adhesive that needs to unpropagate,gravitate itself elsewhere,PDQ...or it goes back on the bike as is for a few more rides this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'd agree with those that use Mr.Sheene, always use it & it never fails. Just spray some on & leave it to soak for a few minutes, then wipe off. Sometimes you might need a second application for more stubborn glue !
    I much prefer it to using any type of solvent, espicially on carbon, even more so on structutal carbon, (wheels for example).

Slightly off-subject, I was watching a video of the Mclaren guy who was saying he's used carbon on most area of a car, but would NEVER use carbon wheels !
    Got me thinking, (not that I've got carbon wheels, but I would like some !!) & has put me off them now espicially when you think about some of the moron tyre changers that work in some places. You'd have to be super critical who you trusted to change tyres on this type wheel. Wouldn't surprise me if most places would refuse to fit tyres to this type wheel, if they don't already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. acetone, or break cleaner or nail varnish remover.
    Don't over think it, it's a hard resin and will stand up to quite a lot of crap thrown at it.
    If it's a polyester resin then acetone might attack it a bit more but whatever you use you shouldn't have that much of a problem on the substrate.

@CAT3 you're talking about Gordon Murray.
    With carbon rims you need to know your tyre fitter very well, and trust them. A good tyre fitter won't have a problem, the problem comes when putting the new tyre on and they use the bead breaker to push the tyre on over the rim and get it too close to the rim and thus grind into it, linishing it nicely. Not what you want after spending several grand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. @Sev / @CAT3
    I cracked it last night with a can of elbow grease and one or two stella's plus salted nuts,but carried on applying the WD40 and very happy with the result & No damage to the finished surface whatsoever.
    DSCN7154[1].JPG

• Like Like x 7
  7. Are you sure you didn't just pour Stella over it ;) .

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. You mean run it through the waterworks first.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. A really easy method would probably be using a finishing spot pad on a Dual Action machine with a cleaning polish if it i is just the remaining residue.

As its a cleaning stage you would not be correcting the top coat but it will essentially polish out the remaining marks. Next time give that a try as it makes it a lot easier.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Lovely many thanks for that advice,much appreciated.:upyeah:...it's back on the bike now and looks much better without them.IMO

• Like Like x 1
  11. [​IMG]
    Always use this on various surfaces to get rid of the remains of stickers. Doesn't leave you with a greasy layer that you would have to polish anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information