1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Frame

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Steve Fryer, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,
    New to the forum and straight away asking for help!
    I have owned a Carbo Tech carbon fibre frame for a number of years and finally decided it was time to do something with it. Just trying to get an engine that will fit! The swing arm spindle to rear engine mount needs to be 10cm. I have looked at S4RS and 1000DS Ducati engines and they measure 10.5cm. Is the 916/748 measurement different. Any suggestions which engine has the measurement I need?
    Thanks for your help

2. 10cm?

The 916 is 19.95mm dia

Ate you talking about engine width between swingarm faces?

3. Can you put a picture up of the frame?

4. I think you want the measurement from the centre of the swing arm bolt to the centre of the rear engine mounting bolt, if so the 748/916 is 105mm.

5. The air cooled and water cooled are the same in that regard.

You need to see if you have the lower swingarm bosses on the frame for a swingarm or not. That will determine what enging goes in

6. Picture attached - and the measurement is from the centre of the swing arm pivot to the centre of the rear most engine mount, which it sounds like most ducati engines are 105mm.

carbside (2).jpg

• Like Like x 9
  7. All variants of, 748, 851, 888, 916, 996, 998, 848, 999, 1098 and 1198.

Cant see if there is an internal cross brace across frame.

#7 deleteduser211220, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2019
  8. Sounds like he needs an 1198 engine then :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. And 1098RS/ modded 1098sf swingarm.

Or go for BST carbon wheels, BST carbon swingarm.....

#9 deleteduser211220, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wow. Very jelly of you as I’m on a mission to make my project bike as light as possible. I’ll watch this thread with interest :upyeah:

11. As far as I can remember, the Carbotech frames were made for the 955 race engines with the swinging arm pivot raised by 5 mm. Every other Ducati including every race bike I've seen has the swinging arm pivot in the lower position, even though the frames had the ability to adjust the pivot height. A few of the 955 engines had crankcases with an elongated hole at the pivot.
    I think you'll either need to find such a 955 engine, or get a set of cases machined for the raised swinging arm pivot. Not many cases can be machined that way.
    Nice frame, though.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. there are numerous engines around with the elongated swingers pivot hole...as the 999R can achieve this too
    or get a set of later RS cases these too have the elongated hole.....build whatever engine you want then...

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. If a triumph engine will go in I have one going spare ;)

lovely frame :upyeah:

14. interesting project'

15. This was a random used set of FO cases i acquired for an engine build.....you can see the elongated swing arm pivot hole
    Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 07.13.46.png

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Welcome Dave. Why don’t you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too?

17. None of the street bike engines have it, they all need to be milled.

18. The OP states the hole centres are 105mm...

19. i was answering 2moto....and my std 2003 999R had the elongated holes in its std cases....i got sick with saying that all ducati engines circa 92 -2012 were the same engine mounts and swing arm...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information