1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Carbon Side Stand

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Red899, Sep 26, 2017.

1. http://zoltek.com/carbonfiber/

2. carbon fibers have a tensile modulus of 72.5 -145.0 million psi (500 million-1.0 billion kPa). As a comparison, steel has a tensile modulus of about 29 million psi (200 million kPa). Thus, the strongest carbon fibers are ten times stronger than steel and eight times that of aluminum, not to mention much lighter than both materials, 5 and 1.5 times, respectively. Additionally, their fatigue properties are superior to all known metallic structures, and they are one of the most corrosion-resistant materials available, when coupled with the proper resins.

3. OK thanks, have you had a side stand separate like that? I ask as I do rotate my bikes on the side stands.

My clip on sets were manufactured by BST.

4. No never but to be on the safe side!

How did they break drop, crash, highside? Obviously compaired to alloy of the same thinkness they should be far stronger but nothing is indistructable.

5. Why not take a chill pill? I have this very side stand fitted on my bike and also had it fitted to my 1199 for two years. Zero problems at all. The bottom line is it is up to the job. That is all that ultimately counts.

6. That's just the way to make him take a chill pill :rolleyes: here, let me try:

Take A Chill Pill please

o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. That's useful to know @Topolino thank you, and FWIW I do find your posts useful and informative. Do you spin your bike on the stand too?

Regards the "take a chill pill" - I made it clear enough why I pressed the Carbon Conquest posts already and if you missed it here's a summary: 'a re-seller of carbon parts comes to a thread and starts making wild statements regards carbon fibre and then displays unwillingness to accept that but instead tries and fails to justify his/her original uninformed comments'.

Perhaps you overlooked that he/her quoted my post originally and this all started from there?

8. She's maybe a her? Coolio :cool:

10. It's an option of course and if you want one and it's your money, then why not.

However, if you are doing it to save weight then a mixture of staying away from Greggs and having a good shit is free and would probably save you more in weight.

If it's for a look then perhaps a cheaper option might be something like https://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/carbon-dipping-gallery might be more your bag

I can see the attraction of the full carbon and if I was having everything carbon, wheels, fairing, etc then it would be a nice addition. I'm thinking of getting a carbon fibre cock ring once I find one small enough to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No I don't spin the bike on the stand. They are not designed for that. The aluminium plate on the foot of the stand is bonded into the stand itself, so I don't know if in spinning the weight of the bike on this area would damage it. Frankly I haven't tried. What I do know is that it's more than strong enough however, to support the bike's weight, which is all I actually care about. I am not interested in the science behind the CF other than knowing the part is up to the job, which it clearly is. I think this thread has taken an unnecessary tangent from the OP's question, when most of the discussion has centred around a re-seller and his knowledge (right or wrong) of the merits and properties of the material. For me the product speaks for itself. One thing I do know is Steve has a close working relationship with CDT and stands by their products, often (as mentioned in an earlier post) travelling to the factory in Slovenia and to many of the trade fairs and shows at which they exhibit, so he knows a thing or two about what he is actually selling, unlike his competition (as the original link the OP included demonstrates) who shall we say are perhaps less informed.

12. Blindingly obvious question, but does anyone know the difference in weight of the carbon stand compared to the original ally one??

Not wanting to re-ignite :bomb: the heated debate of this thread you understand !! :innocent:;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information