1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Cast Iron Brake Disc Play

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Jul 21, 2020.

1. I have the original cast iron discs on the sps. I know they have some play in them, however, there seems to be too much play.

Im sure I can hear them “tink, tink, tink” as I’m riding, much more than I have ever noticed . Is there any tolerance value I should be looking for with regards to how much play these should be at?

It’s a shame as they are hardly worn, No cracks, but there is massive movement on the buttons.

2. As I understand it, lateral play is fine, Axial play is No Buenos.

3. For axial do you mean radial/circumferential?

4. the modern steel brembo discs have around .25mm of lateral play, but on those original cast discs there was way more than that, to the point that you thought the bobbins were worn away - and that was from new. To use the scientific term.. wizards sleeve. When you wheeled the bike backwards sometimes they would catch making a juddering noise.

If they're the old cast iron ones don't forget that the material would expand at a different rate, and if you're using modern pads as oposed to the original organic / asbestos pads then you'll be pumping a truck load more heat into them as well.

in a nutshell I wouldn't worry about it sir... they all do that, the discs on my Superlight rattle as much as my clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. There is so much play side to side, up & down. Although I do like the rattle noise. Would be a shame to replace as the cast iron look a treat on the sps.

maybe paranoia on my behalf, I even pulled over today as I thought I heard a strange noise coming from the bike at the lights. Turns out it was a dog barking on the pavement at me. All part of the experience.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. You can get replacement bobbins for a refurb. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. if you can hear a dog barking you need louder pipes :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The soft ally centres wear in the bobbin slots

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. It’s running with Leo Vince system on it. Maybe I made the connection of seeing a dog bark and the voices in my head!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. This, my Brembo HPK discs got very sloppy, I thought that it was the bobbins but when I inspected it was the centres that had worn although I did have a bit of wear on one bobbin.

I got replacements from Mode Performance at Silverstone, very helpful and they also stock the bobbins if you need them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Flip them left to right for a bit more life..

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information