1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cdi Unit For A 2 Stroke Triple

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Apr 2, 2019.

1. A little bit off forum but someone out there probably knows the answer.

A few years ago I acquired a small (16') boat powered by a Yamaha outboard motor (849cc, 3cyl, 2-stroke. 60hp) which I reckon dates from the late 80s. The engine did run and the boat was fine but it was only used the first summer we had it and then after that it sat there unused as I was always just too busy:(. Anyhow, this year I'm (almost) fully retired and have the time to use it so I thought I'd get it ready for the water :(. Unfortunately, as I'm going through it to make sure everything's OK and recommission & refurbishing various bits and pieces I discover some little fecker has stolen the CDI unit! Unbelievable.

I've had a look around and it seems, if you can even find one, a replacement costs anywhere from £500 to £1000, no wonder someone nicked it!

That got me thinking, basically it's a simple 2-stroke, carb fed, 2T oil injected engine; max revs 5000; peak power produced between 4500-5000; it's got an electric starter but how complicated does the CDI unit need to be? There is probably a stock, off the shelf, readily available, unit that could be put in its place.

Does anyone have an ideas, suggestions please?
    TIA.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Boyer do one for Kawasaki triples I believe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I suppose a further question has to be will any CDI unit do, provided it's for 3 spark plugs/cylinders? When I was looking at the official, like unicorn, Yamaha ones they seem to have different part nos for the 50hp/60hp, 70hp/80hp and 90 hp engines, yet they're all 3 cylinder 2Ts just different displacements and carb sizes.

#5 West Cork Paul, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. I would be surprised if just any old triple unit would do the job.
    Might it be practical to find a cheap, knackered engine and take the unit off that?

5. if it was a marine-only special then very slim chances of finding one wouldn't you think? - hence nick-ability of original (as Paul said).

6. You're helping fantastically, thanks for those links, I'll follow them up. The 2nd one is not quite the right model but hence my question above, how different can a CDI unit for one 3 cylinder 2T be from another? I'm going to contact the first link to see if he has one as he's a breaker. Thanks. :upyeah:

7. It could be the 'marine only special' really boils down to the fact that stainless fixings/connectors are used everywhere to inhibit corrosion it being exposed to salt water etc. Certainly the fixings/fastenings all over the engine unit are in as new condition, thanks to being made of s/s, and that's on a 30+ year old engine exposed to salt water. It's more than can be said for my 748 left out in the rain:(

8. Zeeltronic mate, really really good and do all sorts of different units that even come pre-programmed for the bike.

I bought one for my RGV250 VJ23 and I can even fit a quickshifter, and I can retard the ignition across different revs, or advance it, I can also set the powervalve speed and movement, it's really crazy!

I would really recommend them.

http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/home.php

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks I'll check them out as well, although I don't need all the add-ons, just want a CDI unit that will operate/control a simple 2T engine.

10. You don't have to use it though, it's just a really capable unit for not lots of money and mine has been faultless

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. 16FABC89-F7F7-4058-A833-59C288605755.jpeg
    I couldn’t find any prices on the Zeeltronic website (Slovenia) but above is the UK agent’s details and phone number.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Chris

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thanks for the link. Mines a 60FEDO, which simply means 60hp, electric start, manual tilt, oil injection. Year code is V so it’s either 1997 or 1977 :(

14. PM your email address if you need copies of service and parts manuals

Do Not Sell My Personal Information