1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Stand Grounding On St4s

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Raynewalk, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Saw Glen at MotoV last week and he tweeked the stand up a touch but could not see anything majorly wrong. Recommended I visit FTR (Beazley End) about 15mins from me:) I visited James and Pete at FTR today and they measured sag etc. Diagnosis was I need a heavier spring. Up from 95 to 105. Will be fitted next week so I will report back on that. 10 housepoints to @johnny and @bradders :upyeah:

#41 Raynewalk, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Visited FTR today for the spring change.

James and Pete got on with it whilst I had a cup of tea and made use of the wifi to do some of my less interesting work. Much appreciated as it saved me taking time off,

Fitting_1.jpg
    Fitting_2.jpg

With the new spring in situ the sag with rider onboard was set to 41mm. Previously it was 60 with the preload wound all the way in.

card.jpg

The shock itself, at the back, was given a clean bill of health but James spotted the front set-up was out half a turn from one side to the other so this was matched.

I only had time for a short ride to test the results but it has clearly made a difference. For starters the excessive sag is sorted and I have preload left to cater for pillions and luggage. On the move the first thing I noticed was a lack of squat under acceleration. I wasn't really aware that it was there before but it feels more planted now and keeps the front more connected in turn.

I did not detect any instability at the front. It did seem to follow a white line a little at one point. Not disconcertingly. Can't say yet if this will be a trend. I still get feedback from the front which is reassuring. It seems a little more eager to turn in and a little lighter in general when flicking from side to side.

With the baseline set-up I now have, I am happy things are going the right way and with FTR still available for advice and assistance I am glad I took the trouble to sort this. Spare spring is being put to good use this evening

spring_wine.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Good man. Great to hear the simple stuff can make such a difference :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information