1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Certificate Of Conformity?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Oct 25, 2017.

1. If you are registering in France do you know you can get a temporary plate from the Prefecture FOC without a CoC? They start with WW and are valid for 30 days. I have had one on my 998 since May 2014!

2. Yep, running the bike on foreign plates or switching to French is not the issue. I know all the ins & outs cheers.
    I fail to understand why each country wants a coc to register a bike already approved registered & built in the EU. The manufacturers have continued on to this & are charging a fortune for a bit of paper which shouldn’t be necessary, the whole thing is a con......

3. I completely agree. I have three Ducati's I bought in Germany, each came with the original CoC from the supplying Ducati dealer, none of which were acceptable to the Prefecture. Ducati Italy tell me to contact my local Ducati dealer who are obliged to supply a French standard CoC FOC. Needless to say they have no incentive to do this so after incessant trips to the Prefecture I have three unregistered Ducatis and one temporary plate (issued in 2014) between them which I swap over whenever I want to use one of them on the road. Fuck 'em!

4. Yep, my thoughts exactly, but it’d be nice if something could be done to stop the inconsistencies

5. Okay so I got an answer back from the eu see below.
    Interesting stuff, seems to me that if you buy the bike new then you should get a coc free of charge, if you require a duplicate they can charge. The thing here is if the certificate they are issuing is the original or a duplicate........? Could make a difference. Anyway there’s a few rules & regs to throw at the dealers & manufacturers next time you need a coc.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your questions.

First of all, under EU law, the manufacturer must issue a European certificate of conformity as a paper document to accompany each vehicle, whether complete, incomplete or completed, which is manufactured in conformity with the approved vehicle type (legal basis: Article 38.1 of EU Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 January 2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles).

1. French registration requires that I supply them with an eu CoC even though the bike has already been registered in the U.K. & therefore is type approved. Is this correct?

The answer is yes. In your case, your motorcycle has been approved to circulate in the United Kingdom only, not in the other EU Member States. It is not enough for the vehicle to have been approved in one Member State to be considered as approved in the other EU States. Only the Certificate provided by Article 38 of Regulation 168/2013 is evidence certifying that the motorcycle was manufactured in compliance with all regulatory acts at the time of the vehicles production, and confirms that the type of the vehicle in question meets all European standards for safety and environmental protection.

Therefore, in order to register your motorcycle in France, you should provide the Certificate of conformity to the Prefecture of your residence in France.

2. In order to get a CoC, which I believe Ducati are obliged to supply with a new bike, I am being charged £50.

First, we specify that the certificate has to be delivered free of charge to the buyer together with the vehicle. Its delivery may not be made dependent on an explicit request or the submission of additional information to the manufacturer.
    (legal basis: Article 38.1 of EU Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 January 2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles).

This means that when you buy a motorcycle, you should receive a certificate free of charge.

We understand that you did not receive a Certificate when you bought your motorcycle. At this stage, we advise that you call the seller in order to ask him to provide you the Certificate of conformity delivered by the manufacturer.

3. Why are the manufacturers charging for a piece of paper which should come with the bike?

We draw your attention to the fact that for a period of 10 years after the production date of the vehicle the vehicle manufacturer shall, at the request of the vehicle owner, issue a duplicate of the certificate of conformity against a payment not exceeding the cost of issuing it (legal basis: Article 38.1 of EU Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 January 2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles).

This means that manufacturers are entitled to require a payment against a duplicate of the certificate of conformity because in principle every vehicle owner should receive the certificate following the purchase of the vehicle.

Since it is apparently not your case, we that advise you explain to the seller that you did not receive the certificate with the motorcycle, and that – in order to comply with consumers rights - he should provide it to you free of charge. In the event that the seller cannot provide you a European certificate, in our view, you should request to the seller that he pays the costs of the duplicate of the certificate of conformity (i.e. £50).

At the same time, we recommend that you contact the European Consumer Centre in France. The European Consumer Centre in France can help you with that procedure, helping you to defend your rights. In order to contact the European Consumer Centre, we recommend that you click here: https://www.europe-consommateurs.eu/en/about-us/how-to-contact-us/

We hope that you have found our answer useful.
    Best regards,
    Your Europe advice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Great info here @SBK - thanks for taking the time to share/update :upyeah:

7. Just to finish this off I ended up paying for a CoC from Ducati, I then quizzed them regarding the above. I received the reply below:- Whilst it looks like you have to pay for one for a second hand bike I would urge all members to request a CoC with a new bike which as stated below, highlighted in bold,should be free!!!!

Dear Mr.......
    Under EU Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 Article 38, the manufacturer is required to deliver a certificate of conformity (‘CoC’) as a paper document to accompany a new vehicle. However, in accordance with guidance issued by the Motor Cycle Industry Association, custom and practice in the UK is that it is not necessary to hand the CoC over at point of sale as the CoC is not required for registration of the vehicle. I can however confirm that should the buyer request the CoC together with the new vehicle it would be provided free of charge.

Yours sincerely,
    Chris Massey
    CFO

This has been transmitted by Ducati UK Limited
    Registered in England 3871825
    VAT No. GB 747 4847 87

8. I understand this thread is a few months old, however I am hoping to find some answers on here as there is a lot of knowledge here from what I have read so far. We came to France 6 months ago (from Canada)and brought both our bikes. It has been extremely hard to find anyone to give us a COC here. 1. Is there a difference between a French COC or a European COC or are they both one and the same? 2. As anyone else on here or that you know that had difficulties with there North American bikes brought over to Europe? I just contacted Ducati Bologna and have asked them for a European COC for both bikes. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

9. There is no such thing as a French CofC. You will never get a European CofC for any bike that was not made for the European market (your bikes) as the CofC is a document that applies to each individual vehicle and not a blanket document.
    You will need to speak to Ducati France who will need to have your bikes inspected by a French Ducati dealer and change anything that is different to a Ducati that was built for the European market. You will then get a compliance certificate that will act the same as a European CofC and allow you to register the bikes.
    As your bikes have been here for six months then technically they are illegal to be on the road as you have not yet registered them.
    If you PM me your landline number then I am happy to talk the system over with you if that helps. The only thing is that I am away (UK, Rome etc) for the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. As BobT says the system is slightly different for brining bikes in outwith the EU.
    I have experience of this trying to register a Swiss bike in France. The French wanted a fortune in tax/import duties etc before I even started with the Carte Gris.
    In the end I sent it to the Uk registered it there then shipped it back to France Saving approx 8k in fees.
    The added complication now is that all the registration is done in line through the new ants.gouv.fr website. This system at the moment is a nightmare both for foreigners & the French!
    System is crashing all the time or doesn’t accept that your validated info is actually valid.
    Where abouts are you in Frogland?

11. Can I request a CoC when I get a new bike?, I’m meant to be taking delivery of a Panigale V4 some time this month and may be moving abroad in around a year so one would be handy to have.
    When I asked the salesperson about a CoC he told me the bikes don’t come with one?.

12. Can I request a CoC when I get a new bike?, I’m meant to be taking delivery of a Panigale V4 some time this month and may be moving abroad in around a year so one would be handy to have.
    When I asked the salesperson about a CoC he told me the bikes don’t come with one?.

13. Yes you can, it is EU law that you can have one for free with your new vehicle. Som cars now have one in the back of the handbook. It is only any use if you move to another EU country though.
    The sales person will have to get it from Ducati UK for you.

14. If you scroll up through my original post you will see a cut & paste of an email I got from Ducati Uk in which they state quite categorically that Ducati will supply a CoC free of charge with a new bike. Feel free to copy it & take it to your dealer

15. Yes, it should come with the bike. By law 1st CoC is free of charge, only the copys can be charged.

Unfortunatly in the UK and in many other countries there is no habit in providing this document as it is only need when you registrer the car/bike in other country.

In Germany they always have the CoC in stock with the bike/car and provide it at the moment of the sale, in the UK I have been charged up to 100 GBP for it :-(

When registring the car on other country, its mandatory to present the CoC, its almost always the 1st step for getting a nacional plate, the CoC has the European homogation number, all the data from the veicule and is a proof that the bike in conformity with the European Rules.

If you cant provide it, you still can register the veicule BUT it will be harder and more expensive as you will need to make and pass some tests (like noise) to prove that the veicule complies.

This is what the CoC look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information