1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Chain Adjustment

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Scott21, Mar 22, 2019.

1. what’s the measurements for the 1299 chain slack, I’ve seen the 1199 is about 50-52mm which to me seems a bit slack as I’m sure from memory my 1098 was about 35mm???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Manual says 50-52mm. Measure from centre of chain to underside of swingers at mod point between sprocket and hub centre. Bike on side stand when doing it. Ive literally just fitted a new C&S and set mine. It isnt too slack by my judgement. Especially when bike is upright with me sat on it.

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 07.59.55.png

3. So why does that differ to the 1299S Owner’s manual downloaded from the Ducati web site ? Andy

4. Maybe one is on side stand and the other on paddock.

5. One from 1299 manual

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 14.58.08.png

6. The first one was from 1199 workshop manual

The second from my 1299 owners manual

what the fuck difference? lol.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable can spread some enlightenment.

7. What bothers me is how accurate the point of where you take the measurement to? I mean, going by the picture have you just to guess roughly the exact position on the swingarm to measure to? Slightly out and the difference in MM could be substantial.

8. Maybe the different swingarm pivot point, and if length is different could explain this. Confusing for us punters, tho'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The stated distance in my 1299 manual is 40 - 42mm while on the side stand, (one finger pushing down on the chain).
    When adjusted per these specifications, the chain tension seems far in excess of what I would expect.

On any suspended chain drive mechanism, one must consider chain tension during maximum swingarm travel. The reason: If the countershaft sprocket, (drive sprocket) is not on the exact center of the swingarm pivot, (above, below, forward or aft), the chain will slacken or tighten at the extreme ends of swingarm travel. If however the drive sprocket is on the swingarm pivot, the chain tension should remain consistent throughout swingarm travel.

Considering the above, the drive sprocket on the 1299 appears, (to the naked eye), to be exactly on the swingarm pivot, thus chain tension should remain consistent regardless of swingarm travel. I still have doubts. The 40-42mm setting makes for a taught chain. I called a Ducati dealer to get their opinion.

10. Hi MC, in the handbook it says "using one finger, depress the chain then release, BEFORE measuring.

#13 thebiglad, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. Hi,
    Thank you for the information. That bit of advice, (release before measure), might indeed result in relaxing the chain tension. I will give this a try.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information