749 Chain Adjustment

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by peter walker, May 3, 2024.

1. Ok so daft question time , can I adjust the chain with the bike on a paddock stand using the measurements on the swing arm or does it have to be on the side stand . My thoughts are it’s easier on the paddock but does the measurement/deflection change?

2. It's supposed to be with the wheel on the ground.. Or at least that's what I was taught :)

3. I would say paddock stand = wheels on the floor so that's the way I would do it if it was easier. I don't believe chain measurement is super critical

4. Paddock stand is where I do it.

5. If I remember correctly, the manual says on side stand.

6. So I think the guys are right.. if the paddock stand is putting the lift through the wheel axle... It makes no difference to whether its on the stand right... Same forces in play in the same place... no ?

Thinking about it - I was always taught to do it sitting on the bike actually.. but that was like 30 years ago... :)

7. I’m not clever enough to say the side stand is different to the paddock stand, to me the bikes weight is through the axles in both cases , so is paddock ok to the spec on the swing arm label? Wait till my cambelt change questions come …..

8. Don't overthink it . Less is more on chain tension.

9. If the bike is on the side stand there are three points of support - front wheel, rear wheel and side stand foot.
    If on wheels or paddock stand, there are only two points of support.
    By simple mechanics, on side stand the rear wheel will have less load acting through it and thus the deflection of the swingarm will be reduced.

What I did was to set my chain tension on side stand, mark the required setting on a piece of wood/cardboard/rule.
    Then, put bike on paddock stand and remeasure the deflection.
    Now, whenever I tension the chain (on paddock stand), I have my handy gauge and set it to that.

Simples.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

10. I knew you'd be able to Math'geneer it :)

11. Interesting point...I always thought Ducati chains were slightly too tight at the recommended settings (on the sticker)...I always err on the slightly slacker side.
    Is that the general consensus of opinion?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information