1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Chain Adjustments

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Cliffords, Sep 2, 2017.

1. I'm sure the chain monkey if used correctly is the dogs danglies, but once I attached it to the chain, there is a chance I over tightened the chain adjuster before releasing the monkey, either way, I just couldn't get on with it. I'm still convinced this entire thread is over complicating a fairly simple procedure ?

#41 Wayne58, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2017
  2. +1

• Like Like x 1
  3. The skyhook version is complicated to get it right: correct mode, iginution status, side stand etc

4. :rolleyes: It's a chain ??? :confused:

5. Which, if you set like every other bike on the side stand with ignition off, will be grossly wrong. Unlike nearly every other bike ;)

Bit like saying it's suspension: it is, but not conventional.

6. Grossly wrong?? Come on bradders, it's a friggin chain?? On sidestand, engine running, in urban mode right.................If that's complex, how do you cope with a clutch, gears, brakes and a throttle?? Time for an automatic car for ya me thinks !! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. You only need to set the chain tension once!!!! Do it the one time as per the book then straight away put the bike on the side/paddock stand in the mode you normally use with the engine off and look at the gauge to see where the mid point on the link is on the gauge and mark it. Next time just use that mark as the reference point - after all it just a chain :)

BTW the OEM / original chains do stretch - replaced with a Gold DID Chain and almost no stretch in the last 10K Miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. What about... in gear or neutral ?

9. I was told by a fitter once, chains don't stretch they wear, is this correct ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. the metal that the chain is made of does not stretch. pins wear and the space between them increases

11. Also, the teeth on the sprocket wear. Always change both front and rear sprockets when fitting a new chain, otherwise the worn sprockets will wear the new chain rather quickly.

12. Trouble is, on the wrong setting it will make the chain very tight or very loose. Tight chain means it will at least wear quicker, will also wear the gearbox and could snap... I'd say that could be classed as grossly wrong ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speaking from experience - a worn chain on a worn sprocket will also snap! :(

14. I think when Ducati wrote the instructions they took into account of the different modes. That's probably why it is very slack at 38-40 mm most chains are a bit tighter than that's. As Wayne 58 says just do it. Stop barking & ride. Woosh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I got my Multi in 2015, this model doesn’t get one, you have to do all the measurements with a rule, and work out where along the chain to take the measurements

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. I think you may be wrong there MW, if you have a look in your handbook it gives a list of what should be in your toolkit, chain tool and helmet lanyard are included. That's why I was given mine quite some time later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Dealer told me to actually run the chain slacker than manual says.

18. What @broke said +1

19. I had one 2015 DVT S

Do Not Sell My Personal Information