1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Grease And Thick Crud Removal From Swing Arm And Engine Case

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Messer, Mar 15, 2020.

1. On the theme of recommended products, what would people suggest for this thick crud!

I really don’t think sdoc will cut the mustard!

0A693197-9D8E-4123-8714-5FB37C523DF0.jpeg

B7793042-92E6-4A06-9BC0-29F18872D591.jpeg

2. Ps don’t be alarmed, the chain and sprockets are going as part of the refresh!

3. Wife's toothbrush and paraffin ...

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. you can go from specific expensive stuff to paraffin or petrol in an old kitchen cleaner spray bottle ....and a paint brush

5. Paraffin safe on painted swing arm?

6. Old toothbrush, paraffin and elbow grease!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. As houses.

8. And it washes off with water?

9. wipe it off with wd40...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. It'll be somewhat easier once the chain and sprockets are out the way ;)

11. An all-purpose degreaser for general home use called, I kid you not, "Elbow Grease" works wonders on this kind of muck. And is available cheap as chips from the likes of Home Bargains and B&M for around 89p for a 500ml spray bottle.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yeh that’s today’s job!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gunk, scrape the worst bits off with a screwdriver to get in the crevices then work the Gunk into it with a small paint brush, leave it a few minutes and rinse it off with a garden hose. Done it that way for 40 years and you can't beat it for speed and level of cleanliness/effort. With the new chain and sprockets, clean the new chain with Wurth dry chain lube to get excess wax off it before use then only lube with dry chain lube and never have the issue again.
    For the Gunk you need the stuff that smells that comes in a tin, not the plastic spray bottle stuff

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I use a lolly stick to scrape off the heavy crud, too soft to damage anything. Then tooth brush and paraffin. Old pair of socks or undies to wipe clean Note make sure undies are clean.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dig and scrape out what you can easily with plastic or wood blade and hit it with degreaser in a pressure pack like you'd get from a hardware or automotive accessories store. Use the degreaser to soften and crud off and a paint brush or your blade to agitate or scrape the more stubborn crud.

You've not got a lot to remove there. I've purchased bikes which have had a centimetre of build up in front of the output shaft sprocket.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Remove thick layer with a plastic spatula, followed by paraffin and brush.
    Finish with Sdoc100.

17. Always wipe off with a pair of silky knickers. I use the wife's when they are not being used as a one piece bike cover.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Mr Sheen Original is surprisingly very effective. Spray on liberally, leave for a few minutes, then wipe off with a microfibre cloth (having first scraped off the worst). As above, paraffin and a toothbrush is good too. The best thing I've ever used is a mix of petrol/diesel but you need to agitate it and wash off quickly with water (but crap does just fall off).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Why do you need to wash off quickly , have been using kerosene and now concerned I should have been quicker?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information