1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Help Please.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Hi,

I just want to check, is it normal that the chain on my 748 rests on the nylon rub strip on top of the swing arm when the bike is stationary? It looks to me like it will rub on that guide when in motion. Is that OK? Chain tension is correct underneath the swing arm at 25mm minimum of travel.
    ps. I know the chain is rusty but that's aesthetics there are no seized links, no tight spots, no kinks, it's only done 2700 miles but has been stood, unused (but well lubed) for 7+ years.
    Thanks.
    IMG_9253 (1).jpg

2. That’s what the guide is for. Remember when on the move slack is reduced, as sitting and adding power Takes it up

3. Thanks very much. Nowt to worry about there then.

4. In my humble opinion you certainly need to get some paraffin & a metal wire brush on the go. Soak the chain using a old toothbrush & wire each outside of the chain to remove the rust. Then re-clean it using paraffin until it doesn't dissolve any more dirt. Then soak up the remaining using a number of kitchen towels & give it a good lubing!

5. Your humble opinion is gratefully received.:upyeah:
    It's on my list winter to dos when the bike's completely stripped down again so I can tend to all the nasty corroded bits. However, having got it (and me) back on the road after 7+ years of languishing outside & under a tarpaulin and with only a few months left before the rainy season kicks in (oh, I forgot, this is the west coast of Ireland it rains 260+ days of the year!) I'll ride it when the sun shines and until I build the new garage and can safely (and drily) take it all apart under cover. Cheers.

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information