1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Lube

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Jody, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yeah, I find exercise may make me fitter but it also makes me hungry... :/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. You may not have lost any pounds but just think how many you might have put on ??? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. A pressure washer could/will blast water past the 0-ring seals and it won't come out again.
    Bad idea imho.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nope - i only put on what needed to go on there....just the stuff that wore out...i hated spending money on it as it was a means to an end....just to get to work. I exercise at home every day now instead...much better plus i get to watch tv while I'm doing it...

I say it....i actually had 2 bikes as while one was broken/dirty/or was waiting for spares i was on the other...

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was given a considerable amount of Motol Off Road chain lube. It was used by a Moto GP team that time (circa 2008/2009). I have no reason to believe this was only promo crap either, I knew him well, He was respected member of the team and good bloke, helped me on my first race weekend, first testing day and a few other times when he was in the country. He invited me and the mrs to spend time in the garages at Donny during testing.
    I still use the team kit bag he gave me for my race kit.

I used that chain lube while racing, never an issue (never changed my chains either). Recently started using it on my road bike and it makes a huge mess.. one ride and it's all over the back wheel. I'm going to stop using it and look for something similar to what is on the Ducati which looks like a white wax? I might use the rest of this stuff for track days.

6. I have 26k hard km on my tuono and 16k km on my Multistrada and the chains are like new.
    Anyway, I don't claim this I is the best way to clean and lube the chain, I expressed what I do. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. That's a pretty good testimonial

8. Monkey Spunk

9. Hate to think how you obtain that... :/

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MonkeyPeen.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. I've tried stacks and the best one so far by miles is this:
    SDoc S100 Motorcycle White Chain Spray 300ML

Virtually zero fling, almost from the moment of application. Doesn't seem to attract road crud and stay deep in the links and remains tacky to the touch for a good 400 miles - depending on conditions obviously. Not the cheapest and its fairly thick so you get through it but its clean and seems to work extremely well.

Whatever lube I've used I always clean between applications with paraffin and an old paint brush. Never put new lube on top of old unless I'm away and can't do a proper clean.

• Like Like x 3
  12. I'm using the latest offering from muc off - endurance lube (was on offer) that has crushed up dinner plates in it. It's grim up north so wax is no good. The motul paste is meant to be good. I clean it when it's dirty and lube it when it's dry to touch. I'll re lube once on top of previous if it's still clean.

I'm not too worried about a bit of fling. It's a machine. Ugg!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I swear by Wurth dry chain lube and their brake and chain cleaner. You can usually get good deals on twin packs of both. I ride all year round and probably only maintain the chain every thousand miles or so.

Good stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wurth dry, chain/sprockets last loads longer and the only dirt on the back wheel is brake dust from the pads. Spray it on at the rear sprocket and use a rag to catch any excess at the bottom of the sprocket, then use the rag with a little more sprayed onto it to clean the chain. Gold chains stay gold all the time although a single spray may be sensible every now and again of conventional lube for the winter or storage. Also anyone ever wondered why your back brake is useless? Try dry chain lube and see how much better it is without the odd little spatter of grease from conventional lube a pin prick speck will render the disc surface ineffective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anybody used wax-lube on chain...i like it ...no residue tire is clean.

16. Over the last couple of years (More a fair weather rider) I've found cleaning the chain more thoroughly is much more productive than lathering lube on. I clean with WD40, a soft brush and a cloth then apply a couple of light coatings of clear spray-on Castrol racing lube. Do that each time I clean the bike and just top up lube in between.
    Keeps the chain looking pretty. The chain/rear sprocket is one of my favorite details on a bike, so seeing it lathered up is depressing.

I'd now take the following approaches depending on bike usage:

- Daily commuter in all weather - White wax if lazy, regular gear/transmission oil coatings if not. (or buy a bike with a shaft...)
    - Fair weather / weekend rider - Keep the chain spotless & use light coatings of clear aerosol lube
    - Storage - White waxy lube seems to stop rust the best

17. I clean with paraffin and a cut down paint brush to stipple it. Then apply any old thing I can find in my garage. Think its JW69. Cleaning it is the most important bit. I just clean and filter the paraffin and re-use it. Coffee filter papers are pretty good for this.

I use a piece of cardboard, folded into a tube around the chain. I poke the hose through a wee hole in cardboard and soak the chain. I then use an old rag to remove excess. I dont care about fling on wheel, I just wipe it off.

Dry chain = friction. Friction = heat. Heat = wear.

Ever had a chain snap? I have. Up reigate hill, m25 in 3rd lane on drz400 during morning rush hour. I nearly shat myself. I was lucky the chain was flung off and that it didnt wrap around front or rear sprocket. But I was stranded and that was scarey in mway traffic. Cause? It was my commuting shitter, thus it was never cleaned, lubed or looked after. I hated it. It was dull. Once I got home via AA, I had to use 916, which promptly fell off paddock stand as I rushed to oil thats chain. Cost=new fairing, handlebar, lever and mirror. I took the day off.

18. I've been using Wurth dry chain lube for about six months because my local source for S-Doc white stopped selling it. I'm going back to the S-Doc.
    The Wurth is nice and clean but seems to have zero corrosion resistance. Both bikes have rust on the link plates and rollers after a few weeks in the garage with dry lube liberally applied. That never happened with S-Doc white. If you've got to apply something else with Wurth dry lube to prevent corrosion you might as well use something else in the first place.

For cleaning I've gone on to brake cleaner. I use it for general cleaning and buy it by the gallon from a motor factor, so I had some to hand when the paraffin ran out. Works just as well and evaporates which paraffin doesn't. The clincher was my local KTM dealer saying they'd been using brake cleaner for years on chains with no problems.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information