1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Chain Problems?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Marcello, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Hello guys,

My January 2019 MTS1260s has now reached 10,000 miles and I’ll have it serviced this Saturday at Ducati Aylesbury (couldn’t attend earlier).

The bike is running beautifully however I might have just 1 problem to flag: basically I think the chain has gone a bit loose as every time I release the throttle in whichever gear I can feel like a twitch/bump coming from the back – deceleration isn't linear anymore.

Do you think it’s the chain which needs to be adjusted? Or might this be caused by something else? When parked, I also have the feeling the chain is “hanging” a bit.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem (taking into account the bike has 10,000 miles on the clock already).

Thank you!

2. In the 10,000 miles - have you adjusted the chain?... if not I guess its very slack.... and could be the cause of the lash / jerk you feel..

There should be a gauge under the seat to check tension.

3. Than
    Thank you Simon.

Never adjusted the chain before, I guess I will let the guys at Ducati know on Saturday.

What else could cause this problem?

4. It could be the sprockets and chain itself or the cush drive... but a safe bet the chain is too slack if its not been adjusted in 10,000 miles..

I suspect the dealer will figure it out..

• Like Like x 1
  5. I would have at the very least been checking & cleaning the chain every 1000 miles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. The chain will go a bit loose if you don't adjust it! You do clean and lubricate the chain though, right?

7. Though to be fair the manual for my 2016 Enduro does say to get the dealer to do it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. It’s not easy to move the hub if it’s a bit stubborn, with the chocolate tool you get in the tool kit. At least it was on my old 1200 Mutley. Bought a 2 pronged tool from someone off this here parish, that had a long handle too. Was a joy to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you for the feedback guys.

Yes - I do clean and lubricate the chain regularly however never thought about adjusting the chain myself.

I will ask the dealer to do it on Saturday then!

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  10. If it is still the original Ducati fitted chain then it WILL have stretched and should have been adjusted in those 10K miles! The OE chains are not good and do stretch. At 10K miles I would have good look at the Front sprocket as well, it may need changing (depends on how you ride).
    On my 1260 I had an AFAM Gold DID Chain fitted and that hardly stretches at all, just minor adjustments about every 4 or 5 k miles, I also had the front sprocket changed at 12k miles as it had very visible wear on it. I now change front sprockets (they do all the work) every 12K or so and the chain every 24 -25k miles along with the rear sprocket. All that torque on the 1260 takes heavy toll on the front sprocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Where does one get a decent front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain?

If the OEM ones are not top quality then I don’t want them as replacements.

12. Yes, look after your chain. Not sure that I had been caring for it enough as on a long weekend down the Route Napoleon two weekends ago the chain broke and I was stranded - 1200dvt 2016 with 13,000 miles. The breakdown recovery service provided by AXA (included with the Carole Nash bike insurance) was crap, although eventually they did get the bike to a dealer and 488 euros later a new chain set was fitted.

13. The Ducati OE Sprockets on the 1260 are good it is just the OE chain that is not so good, any good dealer will fit an AFAM Gold DID chain as a replacement for the OE Chain as it is a "consumable" item and has no effect on the warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. had the original chain and sprockets changed under warranty at around 4k miles cos they had gone all rusty and shit. despite regular cleaning and lubing.

15. My local Ducati dealership does free chain checks/adjustment.
    On my 1200 DVT the OEM chain and sprockets were changed at just under 20,000 miles.

16. Thank you all guys, I'll have an appointment this Saturday at the Ducati dealership - I will report back!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I despise rust as much as the next chap but it's a cost of doing business with steel.
    And steel is still the strongest material used at a reasonable price short of purchasing something made of unobtanium.
    I'm actually impressed that Ducati replaced not just one, but all three pieces under warranty.
    That's very cool.

18. I replaced the OEM Regina chain on my 1260 at 12k miles with a DID X Ring ZVM chain, also changed the front sprocket, 1 tooth less. big improvement at town speeds and I can now use 6th gear too :). Not quite sure what an "AFAM Gold DID" chain is though, surely they are different companies ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hello guys, quick update, just back from the Ducati service.

They adjusted the chain and everything is perfect again now, it just needed adjusting.

I also changed tyres, first change after 10,500 miles...and went again for the Pirelli Scorpion Trial II.

Rear brake pad was 50% so decided to get that one changed too.

All good, despite 691£ lighter o_O o_O o_O

• Like Like x 2
  20. 10500 miles out of a set of tyres...... your must ride really calmly... i got 3500 to 4500 on rear on multi and half that on the Scrambler 1100...

Glad its all sorted..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information