1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Chain Problems?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Marcello, Oct 2, 2019.

1. 10,000 miles without adjusting the chain? o_O

Gear changes and throttle roll on/roll off get rough on my 1260 S when the chain needs adjusting, which is usually about every 500-800km, you can leave it longer but the bike is trying to tell you to sort it!

The OE Pirelli Scorpions lasted 4,300 km until they were goosed. I have replaced them with Michelin Road 5s which seem to be supplying the same level of grip and are wearing much better

2. My chain and sprockets were changed at 15000 miles for a did one. I fitted a hub carrier which cost around £50. I can now change the rear sprocket without taking off the wheel and the rear sprockets are cheaper

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chain adjustment on eccentric hub Ducatis is easy, slacken the hub pinch bolts rotate the hub anticlockwise in small increments to achieve 30 to 35 mm slack from the top of the chainpushed up, to the underside when pushed down, idealy with both wheels on the ground and sitting on the bike, tighten pinch bolts 30-32 Nm.

4. Tell me more about the hub carrier. Who makes it and how does it install?

5. I am assuming your ducati has a single side swingarm with an eccentric rear hub, made by Ducati, is this the case?
    If so, slacken the 2 pinch bolts, remove rear chain guard, if fitted and behind the sprocket there is a square notched circular ring, about 4to 5 inches in diameter, use the C spanner in the tool kit inserted from the underside and locked into the notches rotate the ring anti clockwise a little and check chain tension, if its hard to rotate the ring use an adjustable spanner on the end of the C spanner to provide extra leverage.

6. It just installs over your original carrier. You can then use rear sprockets that don’t have a middle if you understand what I mean. They are designed for track days so you can change sprockets at the track in 15 minutes

7. Ducati at Lincoln said they make changing a chain and sprocket for them much easier. Hence saving you labour. So it does pay for itself

8. I replaced the OEM Regina chain on my 1260 at 600 miles with a DID X Ring ZVM chain, also changed the rear sprocket 2 tooth more. big improvement at town speeds and I can now use 6th gear too :) :innocent:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you for the info! This is intriguing.

10. I changed the chain and sprockets on my Monster S4R last winter, I got them from Wemoto and ended up with a sprocket carrier as mentioned. It bolts to the back of the original sprocket carrier and means that in future the sprocket can be changed by just undoing the 5 nuts. 1495023430344.jpg 1495023430521.jpg 1495023430744.jpg

11. Thanks for the info! This looks like the way to go.
    Are you limited to certain types of sprockets?
    Are the aluminum sprockets as good as steel?

12. Having a carrier opens you up to more sprockets. Makes trying a bigger rear sprocket a breeze as they only around £30 compared to the non carrier ones at £75

13. Are the sprockets exclusive to the JT brand or are there other brands available?

14. JT yes. Also Renthal use a carrier which looks exactly the same so would say their sprockets fit too. Their carrier is £135 tho

15. Things to consider:
    1) Steel sprockets such as the OEM are made to last 20,000 ~ 25,000 miles. Aluminum sprockets may last you about 5000 miles.
    Multistrada riders typically ride 5X more miles per year than Panigale riders.
    2) Interchangeable sprockets necessitate having a few chains of different lengths at hand.
    Otherwise, your flexibility is limited to 1 perhaps 2 sprocket tooth.
    3) Interchangeable sprockets with carrier are predominantly for racing applications.
    Realistically, how often do you intend to change sprockets for street riding?
    4) Interchangeable sprockets can be carrier manufacturer specific.
    5) Interchangeable sprockets with carrier are expensive.

#36 DarR, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I definitely wouldn't use an alloy sprocket on a multi, it will get chewed up in no time at all.

I guess it depends how many mile you do and how long you plan to keep the bike.
    If you keep the bike 3 years and average 12k miles a year, that is two chain and sprocket sets in that time. In reality using a sprocket carrier might save you 50 quid tops on them two sets combined.

Personally I've not bothered with using the carriers. I change my own C&S sets when needed, it doesn't take long, or need many tools, and gives me a chance to inspect and clean all the bits thoroughly. That includes the cush drives that would otherwise not get inspected if you use a carrier.

17. Definitely good info. I checked with JT here in the states and they told me the only sprocket available for me would be 4 teeth less than stock. The bike is already geared tall enough so a 40 tooth sprocket isn't going to work for me anyway. Thanks to all who responded.

18. Hello guys,

so on Friday I took the lady to the dealership and they replaced the oil filter - they said it was a faulty oil filter which was causing the oil leak. They also topped up the oil by 1/2 liter.

Riding for two days now - no more leaks!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information