1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Chain Replacement?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Marcello, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Hello guys,

The annual service on my 2019 1260s is now due (I know, last 12 months I've only done ca. 2,000 miles).

Total mileage is now 12,500 - would you recommend a chain replacement? If yes - which one should I go for? Asking you first as I'm sure the dealer will say yes 100% :D

Thank you!

2. I would only change a chain on condition and not on milage. Has it stretched or has it any seized links? Are the sprockets worn? In any of these cases, yes change the lot. If you answer these questions with no then no don't bother.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I changed my chain to a DID X-Ring gold at the first service, as the stock chain is cheap and nasty, and rusts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you very much for this. Where can I buy this and get it fitted? Living in central London.

5. I just ordered it through my dealer in Alton, and they fitted it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anyone seen the new Regina maintenance free chain launching early next year. Needs lubing and adjusting with each bike service. Not in between. Going on the new BMW 1000 RR etc first and then for general launch in the new year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I just replaced mine at around 13,000. Front sprocket was absolutely ruined. I had no idea until it started slipping, which was obviously pretty horrifying! If you are at all suspicious that it's on the way out I'd just get it done. I think my chain and sprockets were in the region of £160 from B&C Express - they matched an online price for "B&C Outlet" on their ebay shop, and were very helpful. That was for a DID X-ring chain and (I think) JT steel sprockets. Front sprocket has some kind of rubber cushion damping on it.

I also spent £££ on a DID chain tool. Horrifically expensive, but it now means I've always got a means of riveting a hollow-pin chain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The criteria for chain replacement is more to do with chain wear rather than chain age. The chain on my 1260 Multistrada Enduro has done 19,000 miles and still has a good few thousand left in it. I put this down to fitting a Scottoiler from new.
    You’ll know when the chain needs replacing when you have to start adjusting it more frequently.
    Be very careful of buying chains off of eBay, there are a lot of fake branded chains which are substantially inferior to the one you think you're buying. I know of a shop that fell foul of a spurious chain supplier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I changed the chain and sprockets at 16,000 miles. The rear sprocket looked OK and the chain seemed good (not needing adjusting too often) however the front sprocket was showing signs of excessive wear (the teeth were no longer symmetrical). The other thing I noticed after changing the chain was that it was a lot quieter when pushing the bike around. By the way I have a Scottoiler fitted.

So, my recommendation would be to have a look at the front sprocket if you want to see if it's time to change your chain and sprockets (always worth while doing as a set).

10. I had the AFAM gold chain fitted from new on the 1260.
    Replaced just the front sprocket at 12K miles, at 23K miles changed both sprockets and the chain, another AFAM chain.
    I keep the chain well maintained and regularly check the chain tension, the AFAM chain stretches initially after about 1,000 miles and then seems to stay the same for the next 10K miles.
    Having had a chain snap on my DVT I keep a close eye on both chain and sprockets now!

11. I also have Afam kit on. As you say, maybe 2 or 3 adjustments in the first few thousand miles, but then none needed for several thousand miles. Over 20,000 miles and still going strong, I think I might have adjusted the chain about 5 times in all. By far the best kit I have ever had DID always clapped out by 12,000 miles. Never had a Scott oiler, but keep the chain nice and clean.

12. DID Gold.
    Replace when worn, tight spot adjustment is very loose in loose spots.
    Never overtighten.

13. Different model (2013 PP)but just done mine at 16,000 miles did chain and a supersprox rear sprocket with a renthal front sprocket IMG_9164.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Until, i changed my chain on my twin spark I would have agreed with you, especially as an OE chain I had on a versys 1000 lasted 36000 miles before changing and even then I believe I changed it early.

Then I changed the chain on my twin spark at 21000 miles. not that I thought it needed changing but for some reason on another thread the mood was to change chains every 10,000 miles ffs, or risk catastrophe. It made me feel a bit iffy about chains.

Anyway, when I took the link pin out, the pin that you rivet the head over on had worn a shoulder of approx 50% thru the diameter, roughly where the plates are. i was checking sprockets and evidence of wear in the chain and found nothing before hand, only when I saw the shoulder with the link in my hand did I see something wrong.

So maybe Ducati OE chains need changing early.

TB

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information