1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Riveter

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by simmytt, Mar 5, 2019.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  1. If you are worried about ruining the flaring out the pin heads. A good site which stocks lots of master-links for a wide range of chains is 24mx. As stated; dremel the old rivets off or use a grinder before pushing out the old master-link.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not sure of the case colour but i bought a Motion pro PBR for around £80, great reliable tool should last forever if treated properly, I have mates that use grinder and ball pein hammers to remove/fit chains on track bikes and never had a problem, personally id be thinking about the chain wrapping around the front sprocket all day :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  3. :mad::punch:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Well I got a couple of deliveries today, nice dual axel nut jobbie from here.
    [​IMG]
    This made me smile & turn around for a photo :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Andy, I had one on my 2018 Christmas list, it was thought to be quite expensive - but not for me. Easy and accurate chain replacement is pretty much guaranteed now. I still grind off the heads of the old rivet but only to avoid wearing the DID tool unnecessarily

6. Banbury?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Always the yellow ones :D

8. i use the Wale Chain riveter, i tried out a cheaper version years ago, and ended up spending extra on a peening pin after almost every chain.
    the wale tool is very good quality, and mine is over 15 years old i think, and still like new after about 10 chains

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah, I know, I read many of them before purchasing and decided it all depends how many chains it’s going to be used on. I’ve 2 bikes so in my case it’s likely to get used no more than twice/year. Plus, I always use the grinder to remove the mushroom head on the old pin I’m about to extract, thus relieving pressure on the extractor. I’ve only used 2x so far and it’s suffered no damage. For my needs it’s a good, cost effective solution.

10. I have the same tool at the same price. I've seen old adverts for it with prices up to £80, so price is no guarantee of anything. I've used the tool once when downsizing the front sprocket to 14T and it worked very well. Ground off the old rivet heads first as others have mentioned, and then riveted the the new link bit by bit, measuring the flare with a digital caliper. It all went very well and the tool itself looks like it will last for many many more chain changes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Yes Peter, you zoomed in on my mirror reflection? Or you know banbury (only town with two F1 teams) well.

12. Yep, guessed it was there by the buildings.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. That's the same as the motrax one I recommended, only I paid more than you : unamused:

Having done a few chains with it, it's a cracking tool. I always grind the heads too, it's just easier.

14. I purchased this Park Tool CT-5 Mini Chain Brute as a replacement for a 20-Year Old Park Tool that finally became too-stripped to use. This is the perfect chain tool. It’s made of quality metal and can accommodate almost any bike chain type with a 1/8-inch width, including the 12-speed chains of Shimano’s XTR and SRAM’s AXS models. It also fits single-speed chaining and bicycles with 5-speed to 12-speed systems. This product comes with an integrated shelf for loosening the super-tight and stubborn chain links of older models. It will stand up to daily use, but it is small, weighing only 2.4 ounces, and light enough to put in your backpack for emergency use while riding.

#39 James Wheeler, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  15. D6649CE1-937D-4AA9-A23A-526B60A83B97.png Motion Pro….. absolutely the best I've ever used:upyeah: very clever design, and very compact….

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information