1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Changing Clutch Pressure Plate

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by NeilH, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Update - attached (loosely) as I need to wait for a replacement bolt from Oberon as one of the six was the next size up.
    :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Just changed my old pressure plate out and replaced with same as NeilH. With normal springs 38mm there does not seem enough pressure to stop the clutch from slipping ? In fact they only compress about 10mm before hitting the barrel. Any help

3. Hi
    Just dived into this thread, and don't know 748R slipper personally, but at first glance that new pressure plate is going to need (6) shorter spring posts fitted isn't it? :thinkingface: unless i'm missing something..

4. Yeh I agree shorter post or another set of inserts on the other side of the springs. Bit of a mystery at the moment. I see expat and NeilH have both fitted the same plate so await their response. Or maybe just longer springs.

#24 748rdave, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. I think you'll find just posts are the solution.:upyeah:

6. Do they come in different lengths then ? I never bothered to change the pressure plate on my old 748r or else I would have already experienced the outcome

7. Hi Dave
    Just to try and help with your question: have you done exactly the same as O.P. and what do you mean "hitting the barrel"? If you have done the same with std longer posts, then that would explain why you are not getting plate "clampage".

#27 Chris, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  8. The insert hitting the post. On the OEM plate you need to apply slight pressure for the 20mm cap head screw to start in the thread of the post. On the new plate with the deeper recess the screw enter about 12mm before taking up the spring slack.

66FF3068-F024-467C-9887-FD4C18D97BB0.jpeg

784DEE13-4615-4D85-9D01-0FDD93B0B970.jpeg

9. As you can see from the top picture the springs can only compress about 6mm.

10. Okay, so late to the party again. Do you still have the original 748R steel basket and 3 ramp slipper centre fitted ? The shiny new DP pressure plate you have in the picture comes with the aluminium light weight slipper clutch fitted to the 1098R. Pretty sure I have the main parts of both clutches in pieces so will try and see if there are any differences. Andy

11. The top spring cap is supposed to tighten down on the post, that bit is normal. So yours is the same as O.P. then? As I said in #27 this is the reason as springs aren't getting compressed correctly because the spring posts and the pressure plate look to be incompatible. If you have a hunt around the site that sells that red pressure plate, see if you can see a link to a spring post that is sold for use with it.

12. Yes, shorter spring posts..

13. Yes I do all original except the new performance plate.

14. Really interesting! The clutch does feel really light and this probably explains why! it does make sense that the springs aren't now as 'long' because of the recess. I look forward to the answer. Have only ridden the bike twice since I changed the pressure plate - I did wonder if there was a bit of clutch slip a couple of times.

15. Exactly the same as mine Neil there is not enough pressure on the spring now to stop the clutch from slipping. I haven’t ridden mine but could tell it was not right.

• Like Like x 1
  16. There you go, what @Chris said is the answer, looks like the shiny new DP pressure plate won’t be compatible with the OE clutch without some modification to the spring posts. I’ll try and get a photograph. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here you are, OE centre on the left, DP on the right.
    20200623_141945.jpg
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. you're a star Andy, taking the trouble with pictures. :upyeah::)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. No trouble, fortunate to have the bits to hand and always happy to help if I can. Although not sure there are many people fortunate enough to have a 748R and a 1098R :D Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sorry. Bit late to respond, but my response would not help anyway as my 748r has had its clutch changed back to the non slipper.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information