1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Your Tyres.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pauly, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Rings a bell. Does the 4S have a much shorter life? I don't fancy changing tyres every 4-5k miles.

2. It confused the life out of me as well.

I’ve not kicked a set out yet. So can’t really comment mate

3. This does rather highlight the fact that an annual MoT, done by a competent and honest tester, can be both sensible and money well spent. On cars, as well as having had a tyre bulge pointed out to me (despite the fact that I do tend to check them regularly, and even take the wheels off to check brakes at least once a year), I once had a leaking drive shaft boot spotted at a fairly early stage and it meant that I was able to get a replacement done by the supplying dealer while still under (used car) warranty. That was a good result.

4. I run falkens on my Mini Cooper S and they have been brilliant tyres in wet snow and dry.
    Even stopping me in the outside lane when a women in front decided she wanted to go off to Bristol stopped and then drove over the white lines in front of me no indicators
    My mini doesn't always tell me my tyre pressures are low until I think it's 17 or slow puncture
    My tyres rely on me checking them.
    My wheels are damaged from potholes as the tyre doesn't really protect them and I avoid potholes like the plague I will drive around them
    I haven't seen this that's not saying it doesn't happen either
    I have run falkens on mini for the last 7 years

E91635F5-9B92-4D1A-8F52-29C777C68FF6.jpeg 34AC8558-33C7-49DE-84B0-F54BFD1A801E.jpeg

#24 Ducbird, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  5. There's some nonsense in your post. The original Bridgestones fitted to the rear of our Fiesta ST are 7 years old, which is usually when the performance of tyres has dropped off. The Falkens fitted to the front are less than 3 years old, and they're in much worse condition. Added to that they're surprisingly inferior in the wet and the dry. As for tyres relying on you, WTF does that mean. Do you remove all 4 wheels monthly to check the inner sidewalls? I've got several pictures that show 2 Falkens have failed in the same manner, So rather than just an opinion, I have actual proof that it does happen.

6. Whoooo it's only my opinion about falkens
    I have them on all four wheels
    After your posting I will or my son will check the inside walls for me as you can see we can look underneath the car as I don't want the same issue.
    No idea why I put the line my tyres rely on me to check it's not as if any else is going to check unless I ask them too.

7. Well OK. if you read my OP you'll see this is a car that's had a very easy life. Probably 90% of which is driving 10 miles along a dual carriageway and 2 miles along a bypass, twice a day. Falkens are marketed and priced as mid range tyres, not ditchfinders. If I have to pay £100 a tyre now, to get something safer/better so be it.

#27 pauly, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  8. Do you think it's the lack of use that's made the side wall fragile?
    I don't do a lot of mileage these days

The last 4 years because of ill health I'm only driving around town
    My tyres on the mini are 4 years old I think

It's why I put up my post as I was surprised and concerned

9. I don't think it's lack of use, the car is used 5 days week and has done 30k in 7 years. I think the sidewalls are soft, add that to a car that's stiffly sprung like a Fiesta ST, and that is the issue IMO. But that's a design not use issue. My Daughter bought a Fiesta Zetec 2 or 3 years ago, that had 2 fairly new Toyo's on it. Turned out there was a large egg on the inner sidewall of one of those. And a bit of research suggested the sidewalls on the Toyo's are soft too. You may have different Falkens fitted. I've just remembered, one of those Toyo's blew out too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Got P Zero's on the Vanquish at the moment which were on it when I got it and they seem fine for everyday use but rears are down to around 3mm now and I think I'll probably be looking at Michelin options when they get replaced in a couple of months time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I will be keeping a close eye on mine now

12. Just run the car into any tyre garage, and ask them to do a free tyre safety check for you.

#32 pauly, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  13. I do that with the garage who supplies my tyres they are a local supplier who look after me very well
    I was thinking more in between visits
    Will get my boy just to look over them when he puts air in for me :)

14. He'll need to have the car on a ramp, or take the wheels off to check them all properly. And it's friggin cold out side now. Just run it along to your trusted garage.

15. I imagine a lot of the sidewall damage seen isn't due to soft sidewalls across various manufacturers, but more likely big, and quite often unavoidable, potholes.

Often encountered in the winter months, when it's unlikely you will crawl under your car with a light source to inspect for sidewall and rim damage when you get to your destination.

Even more so if the wheel rim has been damaged, as that load would have been transmitted via the sidewall.

Might be worse on low profile tires with less sidewall to absorb the load.

All IMHO of course.

16. The previous MOT just over a year ago, was done at F1 Autocenters. They are in the business of selling tyres, and I watched the tester carefully inspect all of the tyres, probably looking for a sale. So I know there was no issue with any of the tyres then. We moved house just under a year ago, and my Mrs hasn't needed a car since. So I'd know if I'd hit any potholes in the meantime. And the tester for the recent MOT said there's no damage on the wheel rim. Add to that the tyres fitted on the rear have no damage, so in this case I don't think your points are valid. 2 new Falken tyres would cost £160 fitted, which is F all really. The issue is the tyre is dangerous, and neither Mytyres or Falken will accept any responsibility for that.

17. Yes, roads in England are in a worse state than ever. Unfortunately this combines very badly with the fashion (for years now) for having wheels as large as possible with consequently short sidewalls on the tyres. It's understandable e with something like a Fiesta ST (but do you need the ST version if you don't drive around fast?) or a MINI (I see that Ducbird has the 17" wheels with 45 profile tyres - not as bad as the 18" wheels for ride/pothole-risk, but 16" would be more comfy). Apart from appearance, and for those used 100% in town, having huge wheels and low profile tyres on a SUV seems a perverse choice.

I've known someone acquire a set of winter wheels and tyres for a BMW 3-Series (not an M, it had fairly standard alloy wheels and tyres), meaning that the wheel size dropped and the sidewalls were taller - apparently the improvement in ride and noise level was great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The 6 speed gearbox, decent seats and better brakes were the main reasons for buying the ST. That and you could pick them up for £15k through a broker. And sure, occasionally I take it out for a play.

19. I used to run Avon ZR5’s on a boxster 3.2S never had a problem with them, a lot less to buy than conti, Pirelli etc, and no negative effect on handling.

20. Just to update this, after months of dialogue, Falken have finally replaced the 2 tyres and paid for them to be fitted.

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information