1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chefs Knives Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Advikaz, Jan 27, 2021.

1. You too can become the karate kid!

Been gradually buying global knives over the years and been pleased with them. Mind you, prices seem to have gone up significantly over time!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Pots and pans,plus knives,perhaps ask this man for pointers.;)...but don't upset him.
    Steven-Seagal-Under-Siege-chef-hat.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 525AB501-1915-4686-B248-9B58F9ED79B5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you want function foremost, tons of butchers swear by Victorinox.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I trained at College as a chef. I have worked as one. I still enjoy cooking immensely. I was required back in '87 to purchase a full set of Sabatier knives at great cost, (even after a hefty discount as there were 40 of us) for the the course; I still have them and more. To replace them all would cost a decent wedge. Bear in mind this was the 80s when Sabatier hadn't diluted the brand and standards, brass rivets and good steel and not the Aluminum and cheap chinese steel they use now.

When I cook these days I have two "goto" weapons. I have an "Chinese" cleaver and a single, medium sized ceramic blade with a cheap plastic handle; £15.99. It is thing of beauty, always sharp but required no sharpening! Even the micro nicks in the bade make it perform better, it treats tomatoes with contempt!

I could lose all my fancy knives and the ceramic blade would do me for everything, but I would miss the cleaver as its a cheap-ass, recycled, truck spring monster; but I love it...

Don't get sucked in by the Hipster Knife Myth. They are only steel and will require sharpening. Go cheap ceramic, they never blunt and I have never broken one. If you are looking at good Damascus steel then good on you, but it won't make you a better cook, pretty though.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
  6. Like most, you find a knife that sits in your hand, comfortable and can be controlled. I don't go for these blocks of 6 or more knifes. It's bullshit.

Shouldn't need any more than 1 or 2 knives. More is I've a little dick syndrome and can't use a knife.

Sharpening is the best bit, nice stones and a blade that takes an edge.

If all else fails, a chainsaw

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Was about to write the same..
    15 years ago shared a flat with a chef.
    He gave me one of his Victorinox "chef do it" all knives looks like a cheap knife compared to my Wusthof set, however I much more prefer to use the Victorinox. It seems to have better grip, much easier to control(better balance?) and it seems easier to sharpen.
    Make no mistake I am very happy with the Wusthof, but I tend to open the drawer and pick out the Victorinox as opposed to just pull a Wust out of the block. Strange...

• Like Like x 3
  8. I read the title “Chef’s knives help” and was expecting the opening line of your first post to be “...dispose of dead bodies much quicker than acid” or something equally gruesome.

Anyway, I read the entire thread with interest (girlf and my boys are all away at the moment so my life is empty), and have come to the conclusion that the solution to your dilemma is to get your missus to do the cooking and then spend the money on bike parts. :upyeah:

Follow me for more household tips.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. A few years back I asked a professional chef what they used at home, as I thought this would be a good indicator of quality and good value - wusthof’s all the way!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I have various knives in the kitchen drawer but my goto ones are these three sizes from the ProCook X50 range. Perfectly adaquate for my modest needs without breaking the bank.

Had a couple of Global knives but the ex wound up with those along with almost everything else that was in the marital home. Frankly I prefer the ProCook ones.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I use TSUKI, great value, well balanced, again it's better to have two brilliant knives than a drawer full of blunt stuff you never use.
    Lansky is what i use to sharpen them.
    https://lansky.com/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I’ve made up my own block set using chroma type 301 from here:

http://bestsale-shop.co.uk/en/porsche-chroma-knives

what you buy will depend on what you like to cook, I cook a lot of Asian food so a cleaver and santoku get a lot of use. Invest in a decent pair of meat scissors, I found once you get into them they are essential.
    Good size chefs knife 8/9 inch and a universal knife.As you cook more build your set out, wouldn’t rush in and buy a big set as it seems cheaper or looks good. Think about what you will use them for and buy the right knife. I would’ve said before lockdown go hold them as on screen you can’t get a feel for the balance but you can’t do that at the moment so read up.
    Buy a whetstone, as your starting with a brand new set a 400/1000 will do:

BearMoo Sharpening Stone, 2-IN-1 Whetstone, 400/1000 Grit Knife Sharpening Stone - Waterstone - Rubber Stone Holder Included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KLS9UCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_HJ4TG9Y90ZCGY0M13D9X

You probably will need a bread/carving knife as you’ll use it for more than the odd baguette, especially a sharp one as it’ll double up for carving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Some folk get a bit obsessive about kitchenware , and knives in particular
    .... unlike us level-headed lot , of course , who never get fanatical about anything
    including bikes .... right ?
    :)

I've got this selection and they are all thirty years old , or more -
    A large Henkels chef's knife , a smaller one that has Sabatier marked on it
    and a similar size Japanese knife that I got as a gift ( which I was told cost a packet )
    I don't really enjoy using any of them TBH

My favourite is another smaller chef's knife and if it had a makers mark , it disappeared long ago
    ...... but I think it might have been Victorinox ?
    It takes a keen sharp edge really easily , and holds it .

I use a dual-sided whetstone for sharpening , and a good quality steel to tickle up the edges
    ( maybe Henkels ? - I'd have to look )

I also have a set of Kitchen Devils , with nasty plastic handles that must be twenty years old
    .... yet they are the ones I often go to , especially when I'm in a rush .
    @Ducbird .... yep ...... +1 for the Kitchen Devils

BTW - anyone who is into the art of sharpening might like these videos -

Burrfection

• Like Like x 2
  14. I have a block of knives a drawer of knives of assortments but my two reliable are my kitchen devil
    The bigger one in my picture is the best cheese knife
    The smaller is flexible for vegetables

My ancient bread knife is a great meat cutter too the handle was chewed by my German Shepard years ago :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have a number of Global knives, beautiful quality. Within the range there is a difference in quality, for example I have a GF-33 which is a fantastic knife (forged). Also have a G-6 which I dont think is forged, you can feel the difference in quality.

• Like Like x 1
  16. EF701517-5750-4F31-882C-AFCA8DA8762C.jpeg Never mind a block
    You need strip to showcase your knives
    No one will see them otherwise
    Now this is nice

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. A Rockstead at the bargain price of £3,399.95

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information