1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'christmas Child'/ 'samaritans Purse' Shoeboxes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete1950, Nov 12, 2015.

1. "Where's the harm?" Have you been living under a stone for the last few decades?

2. Better not to give parcels to 3rd world or U.K. people in poverty then Pete?
    It’s not like they are recruiting to Nazi Youth :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Like everything else in life there are good and bad charities, but I believe a lot are let down by the very people who run them, care passionately about their cause, and who are otherwise to be applauded for devoting their lives to doing something about it.

In many cases these people despite their passion for the cause are not the right people to organise the Piss up.
    Their enthusiasm is not matched by their ability to achieve what they want, and some become so overwhelmed by their want to help at all costs that they do things they maybe wouldn't otherwise, cut corners, and ignore the effect on others.
    They also become blinded by the belief that their cause is the most important one, and also that everybody in the world must see that and share their vision.

And yes Pete 1950, there are of course some charities that are, or are borderline, scams, or are run by people without the vision to see that their original cause has been hijacked by their foot soldiers to line their own pockets.
    There are bad people out there happy to exploit the status of a charity to do despicable things.

As a professional witness in court for an industry I used to work in I was shocked on one occasion at how easy it had been for a criminal group to infiltrate a charity and use their transport networks to move illicit goods around right under the nose of customs who were almost waving the shipments through thinking they were completely legitimate.

In short it falls to us all to ensure that we are happy we are giving our money or unwanted items to a charity that we have personally ensured are legitimate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Strawman. It is better to give food or parcels to genuine charities which genuinely help people in poverty or famine, so not to fraudsters, scammers, liars, and bigoted fanatics.
    The point seems elementary to me, so I wonder why you are struggling to get it.

5. As the subject has come up again, I'll add a warning about 2nd-hand clothes collection schemes. I have had a suspicion of these for a while, having noticed that if you look at the small print on some collection bags, and the bins which are parked in some locations, it's often the case that the clothes are collected by a company (not a charity) which then donates a "proportion of the proceeds" to charity.

Last year I found a collection bag on the mat which was from a charity involved with cancer patients, for whom we all have sympathy. I was surprised that the logo and colour scheme of the charity "branding" looked rather similar to another much larger and better known charity. I also read on the bag that the company collecting the clothes bags was planning to donate £30,000 to the charity, but with no mention as to when, or over what period.

I did some checking on the web, and at the Charity Commission website, and saw that the charity whose name was on the bag had a quite different logo and that it was a very small operation with no accounts ever having been submitted. The company doing the collections was also difficult to find out much about, but there were similarities in the names of directors between the charity and company (not identical names, but perhaps the same nationality). I reported the matter of the logo and the uncertain donation timescale to the "Fundraising regulator" but it took quite a while to get a response, and what I eventually got was of the "don't worry about it" variety. In essence the response said that the logo similarity had been dealt with (there clearly had been some contact between the larger and smaller charity, although I did wonder whether I should send a picture of the still-in-use collection bag to the larger charity) and that the nature of the contract with the clothes collection company was confidential. I drew my own conclusions.

For clothes, I now prefer to put them in charity bins at the local council recycling dump, or preferably to donate them directly to charity shops - there are plenty of them these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Always good to have a reminder about where your clothes/gifts and money go too.

I also have checked out clothings bags and all isn’t what it seems I did some digging around too.
    I donate mine directly to the shops that are part of St Michaels Hospice here as a way to give back for all the good they do for me and others like me :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clear there Pete. You'd rater people don't give to the shoe appeal and those who would get something either nice or life-sustaining dont get it than give to the appeal who will then add a leaflet or preach a bit about religion.

BTW would love to hear who is genuine. Oxfam who spend less than 50% of their revenue on relief? Shelter who also spend a similar % and have £30m 'rainy day' fund in offshore accounts? Most cancer charities who have 20-45% of their revenue as 'cost of operation & services'? PETA who keep lots of cash, advocate compulsory veganism and have strings attached to any funding? Any NGO charity....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. you cant take this away from him, its the highlight of every year. The eagerly awaited diary note comes out , the white beard and slightly tight red suit go on so that the 'bump' note can be typed in character. And the good deed is done, praise the lord.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Samaritan's Purse are completely batshit born again christians. Their only agenda is to get people to join them and make money. They're based in the US is the type who think Jesus is their vaccine and airbag.

10. I see ads and auto tact check these days. There was one, related to aiding girls have so,e dignity at that point they need it, I’m developing worlds and 90% of their income is shown as used in projects around the world. Same with one that relates to recovering sight (cataracts etc). CEO paid <100k, major number of annual projects, and the only 2 from countless I have found who actually give what they get with minimal ‘central overhead’ and nine of this ‘rainy day funds’ bollox

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Charity is bullshit at this level.
    They never have enough and always with the grabbing hands.

And largely a cop out for the government’s responsibilities, think war heroes or what ever the bollox that one is called.

Donkey sanctuaries and cat homes are just out to rob the most defenceless in society

Shocking truly shocking.

#31 Carr01, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information