1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarke Hydraulic Bike Lift....

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Sambighair, Dec 30, 2018.

1. The first one that I bought was collected from a store in Bristol with a people carrier with all of the seats removed. The second one was delivered whilst I was out and left outside.

I must be stronger than I think!!!

2. Well mine on it's way...fancy poppin around to give me a lift Geoff Capes? ;)

3. I think that you are a bit far away! :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Likewise, well worth the small premium for the air lifting. Because if not you'll be pedalling the thing up and down all day, much easier just to let the compressor do the work. With regards to the size, it's long enough and strong enough to fit my old Guzzi (considerably longer and heavier than any Ducati!) and can also be used for ride-on mowers, quads etc. with a little imagination.

Had mine a few years now and really don't know how I managed before where, even checking valve clearances was a major PITA (lying on the garage floor to see 916 front cyl. exhaust shims anyone?). I did have to replace the hydraulic seals though as it stopped working a couple of years back due to a leaky cylinder/ram - fortunately you can buy a a seal/overhaul kit, think I used fork oil for the refill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Duke,

What make and viscosity of fork oil ? - asking for a friend.....o_O

Mr Bimble

6. Personally, I'd use hydraulic oil. You can buy it from Halfords, I just have to top up my trolley jack.

7. I didn't go for the air lifting as I don't change bikes on it multiple times a day. Once the bike is on the lift, I may raise and lower a few times a day, but can't say it's bothered me pumping it back up with my foot, it takes seconds. If I was a professional mechanic, using it for a living, I'd have went for a electric / pneumatic lift, definitely.

8. So glad that I got rid of my table lift and bought and Abba Skylift for £399, much more versatile, quicker to use and feels more stable to me.

9. Probably recommended but I had a near full bottle of Motul 5w (there you go Mr Bimble ;)) fork oil on the shelf and couldn't be arsed to go out anywhere so used that, seems to work fine but might need to fine tune the damping...

10. How high can you get the bike when it's level with a Skylift? Tempted but not sure it goes high enough with my dodgy back!

11. My 999R is sat on one now - it's 35" to the swing arm pivot from the floor :):upyeah:

12. Higher than the hydraulic table lift could!
    You can also raise just the front or just the back wheel to chest height if you want.

13. Not sure how you work that out. My 853 (748R rolling chassis) swing arm pivot is 1.190m off the ground with the lift platform fully raised and the bike on a rear paddock stand which on my ruler is smidge under 47”. Andy

14. You have obviously never seen an Abba Skylift in action then. Here you go

15. Nothing like as high when flat as a bike lift tho, which is Andy’s point: it’s waist height and he can sit down and do work on the bike easily. You’d be forever lifting front then rear then front with that to get the equivalent height

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I don't know why the thread has descended onto a Clarke table vs ABBA Skylift one. :thinkingface:

But -
    • I find that you can roll any bike onto a bike table with no adaptors needed. I've used it for all my bikes and scooter with no need to adapt it. How many professional garages are using ABBA Skylifts in their workshops?
    • I'm assuming kits and adaptors are needed for the Skylift plus the time to clamp it to the bike.
    • The Clarke table is very stable.
    • You can keep your tools on it while working.
    • You can tilt the ABBA lift, but so what. :thinkingface:
    IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I have an LV8 Hydraulic Lift - and previous I had the Abba Superbike Stand (same as a centre stand) - that keeps bike at ground level.

I found that even with the correct adaptors - the Abba stand was a bit of a pain to fit (Scrambler) - you get one side in - move to other side to fit second side and the first side drops off... I dented the heatshield on the exhaust as a result.

I then swapped the Abba Superbike stand for a ConStand Side Centre lift... which not the best of quality is much easier to fit and use than the Abba Stand..

On the scrambler - I now use the ConStand vertical lift - on top of the hydraulic lift - to get the wheels off the ground for cleaning / servicing etc..

Each stand has a place and a use... the Abba Stands are well built... better build quality than the ConStands... but I just found the Abba Stuff a PIA to fit and use (on your own)

I sold the Abba Stand.

Now - I just put the ConStand vertical lift at the side of my hydraulic lift - front 2 wheels on the lift - wheel the bike up on the LV8 Hydraulic Lift Table - slide in the Vertical Centre lift - click it down to its just taking weight of bike. (acting as a stand to keep it vertical).

Then off you go - raise the hydraulic table / raise the centre lift stand - do both...

The LV8 stuff is top end ... but so is the price.... wish I had bought it years ago...

The ConStand is functionable - relatively simple to use .. but for me not suited for HEAVY bikes... that style of stand is fine... just the ConStand is Chinese made... so the steel thickness is thinner than I would like.... Plus i had to change the castors to a different brand as the tyres on them started to come apart..

I do leave the scrambler parked on it all the time - both wheels off the ground.

18. I have the same table as Robarano.
    Very good best thing in my garage and if i remember correctly it was Robarano who pointed me in the right direction Thanks.
    Im still envious of your operating room oops i mean Garage lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information