1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearly The Bbc Doesn’t Live In The Real World

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by outintheopen, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Eastenders, Holby City, Casualty, Bargain Hunt, The One Show, Doctors, Flogit and Pointless.

Just saying.

2. Its not a licence its a tax, it should be banned and the BBC should be forced to raise its own revenue like the other channels

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Whilst I disagree with the BBC making over 75's pay the licence fee, and also the obscene salaries doled out to some of their presenters, and its undoubted left wing bias... i have to say that most of the time its the only (2) channels that I watch and I don't mind paying for quality ,have you tried to sit through an evening of the shite shown on ITV lately, most of it is utter drivel, IMO by far the best entertainment and dramas are on the beeb...just my twopence worth.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. I have no issue with people who want to watch BBC paying for it, my issue is that everyone has to pay.
    I mainly watch Amazon Prime, which now does Eurosport, BT Sport and netflix.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. End the license fee.

If people want to watch Bake Off etc let them either pay a subscription, or the BBC should arrive at their own financial plan. There is no justification for taxing everyone who watches TV to be forced to pay for these "quality programs" they don't watch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. So is Scottish land only watching programmes paid for by Scottish money and switch off if they risk seeing or hearing productions from the rest of the 3.8 Bill.

Sounds like more justification indipendance.

TB

7. Why do we have to pay a tax to finance the BBC competing with commercial businesses?

If my council were to tax me to pay for any other product (say ice cream that I did or didn’t want, my local van would go out of business.

Yes it produces some quality stuff - that should be paid for purely from its commercial arm.

It’s a public broadcasting service for the likes of independent news etc, not for competing in bubblegum TV

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. who knows TB. i watch v,little terrestrial TV.
    the news where i am is cringworthy. SNP bad, there's been a murder, wee furry animals and football.
    half the country has no representation on any current affairs programs.
    history programs are tainted by UK OK bias, its wall to wall tartan and shortbread pretty much everything we get is London centric. tune in to BBC Radio Scot and good luck if you hear a Scottish accent. the bbc are totally irrelevant to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The BBC also have their own music festivals, which they advertise heavily on the radio & TV, which surely have an effect on the commercial operation of similar events around the country.

10. As much as I object to the BBCs news coverage at times, at £13 a month it’s a bargain. I am currently enjoying Spring Watch and The Planets. Most people pay much more for Sky and/or BT and Sky’s news is even worse than the BBC. Most people I know pay between £60 and £100 a month on Sky.

I think On The Ball and Off The Ball are worth the license fee alone. That’s before I consider Still Game, now finished and Two Doors Down.

Scandalous they are asking over 75s to pay now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. But Amazon don’t pay tax......

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Taxes are mandatory: you don’t have to have a TV licence.

You only need a TV licence if you are watching BBC iPlayer or live TV.

So all the Netflix and Amazon fans can cancel the license fee direct debit tomorrow.

I went 5 years without a license - totally legally. I would get a letter every 3 months or so threatening to send someone round but it never happened. I could have just filled in the slip and returned it saying I didn’t need a license but the pricks got really arsey with me and were threatening Court action after the second letter.

I took the view that I didn’t have a shotgun license and the police weren’t writing to me every month asking to inspect my house to see if I owned one

13. How does it go ? You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. The "bargain cost of £13 each month" is only that because everyone else subsidises the price you pay. All those Sky viewers you mentioned may wish to not pay for the football -for example- that you enjoy so much.

15. That was the case until late last year when the law was changed. You now need a license for anything capable of viewing over the air and internet broadcasts which includes streaming. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I hope you don't mind - but I like my amended version better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Have a look here

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it

If you don’t watch live TV or use BBC iPlayer, then you don’t need a license.

It’s contradicting itself elsewhere though, so I can see why you would be under that impression

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Licence...:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I agree with a check on the house of commons (you disagreed with my post but I obviously wasn't clear) but I don't agree of its make-up being wholly un-elected and therefore unaccountable members

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information