1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearly The Bbc Doesn’t Live In The Real World

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by outintheopen, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Must confess to liking Pointless.

Don’t watch the others

2. Absolutely!

Or to put it another way, if you only use on demand streaming services and not BBC iPlayer, you don’t need a licence.

When I was living in Scotland I couldnt get a signal so didn’t bother with live TV. So didn’t bother with a license.

I got loads of letters from them about it. They never showed up. And if they did, they have no right of entry. I would have asked them to have a look for a TV Ariel or sky dish and pointed out that every house around about had a sky dish because no one could get a regular signal. I’m out walls were 2foot thick solid stone so an internal Ariel was pointless

I have a licence now so I can watch BBC Scotland Comedy Unit stuff on iPlayer.

So guys, if you don’t use it and don’t want to pay, just don’t, and spend the money on a nice bit of carbon fibre each year instead.

3. Each to their own.

4. I probably shouldn’t have admitted to liking Pointless

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Don’t worry, I’ve done worse and got away with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Everybody agrees that the House of Lords being totally unelected is a bad thing, and that it could do with being reformed. The trouble is, a long list of possible new structures exists and there is no majority for any one option. That is why Tony Blair did not get to complete his proposed reforms in 1999.

The process of reforming the HoL began in 1910 and continued by slow degrees in 1949, 1957, 1961, and 1999. It's about half way there so far, and at this rate of progress we will get there by 2130.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. At risk of bringing this back to the original post, does anyone know any further details on the launch, times/url etc?

8. Letters are pretty cyclic and repeat every half a dozen times or so, you occasionally get a new design with the same intimidating language. :)

Just don't answer the door if they visit. If you do open the door as you don't know it's them, you can tell immediately who they are as they tell you your address as an opening line. Just close the door, couldn't be simpler. Don't argue with them like a YouTube moron. :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1

9. If I remember correctly, I think I did fill the form out saying that I didn’t watch live TV and for about 6 months I heard nothing. Then the letters came again.

You are right about the intimidating language. It was that which got my back up and made me decide to go back to ignoring them. You have to read it very carefully. Every “intimidating” statement has the word “may” in it.

May take you to court
    May be fined £xxxxxx

The truth is they have no right to enter your house and there is not a court in the land which would give them a warrant to do so.

So please guys, don’t be intimidated and don’t pay for something you don’t use.

The law change surrounding iPlayer occurred about the same time as I moved back to London so I have a licence now. Now and then I think about ditching it, but I like programs like Killing Eve, Peaky Blinders, Eurovision(did I say that out loud?), Top Gear, so issues surrounding news bias aside, I think it’s good value for money

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information