1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Clunky Gearbox

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Edward Cunliffe, Sep 27, 2019.

1. 9,500 miles ,Gearbox very clunky, clutch bled and adjusted, seems to be disengaging fine, no problem getting neutral, very occasional false neutral between 4 and 5 (user error mainly I think).

Clunkiness worst in 1, 2, and 3, going from neutral to first while stopped is horrible.

Had the bike 3 weeks, and I have a 3 month, 1000 mile warranty so the dealer (non Ducati) can take a look at it.

I've read that they are sensitive to oil amount and quality, it was supposedly serviced before I picked it up but who knows ...

Any thoughts please? I did ride a demonstrator before I bought mine, hard to remember how clunky that one was.

2. Oh and chain and sprockets appear to be good, correctly adjusted according to the instructions and well lubed.

3. They're not the snicketiest of gearboxes. Everyone says the GS box is agricultural but TBH I find my Multistrada to be at least as such.

• Like Like x 1
  4. With that mileage the gearbox should be run in with the initial stiffness gone. I was going to suggest chain tension but it looks like that you've checked that. I'm not sure about the Enduro but I assume you're checking this with you on the bike? This makes a significant difference on my regular Multistrada but is harder to do.

5. Instructions in the manual say to do chain tension with it on the side stand and in Touring mode?

Might slacken the chain off a bit and go for a ride, I agree the symptoms would/could be down to chain tension.

6. Sorry, just checked manual again, should be set to Urban and one rider, I'll go check.

7. Chain set on the slightly slack side seems to suit our bikes better, definitely doesn't like to be to tight

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks Boomer, just been out for ten min ride. Checked tension as per manual and it's spot on. Clunkiness seems to be the same on Uban and Sport. Sport should be looser as the preload is higher ... it could just be me, been off bikes for ten years and never had a Ducati before ...

9. Mine's done about 8000 miles and I still find it to be quite notchy. It's definitely better with the chain adjusted correctly - that's the only thing I've found that improves it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gearbox slop maybe, is this too much?

11. Seems a lot to me?

12. No idea, but I like your footpegs - are they the standard ones with the rubber removed? Sorry, a bit off topic!

13. Heh heh, yes standard footpegs without rubbers. I have long legs so need the extra cm of space it gives me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Is the clutch ok? I recently had the slave cylinder leaking and gradually dragging air into the system. Appears to be ANOTHER common fault. You can tell by the clutch play, the amount of fluid in reservoir or any signs of fluid leaking down the slave cylinder.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Totally normal dude.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hi Rover, yes clutch is ok, I've changed fluid as it suddenly went black, and bled it and adjusted bite point much further out (grub screw missing from adjuster) so it's better than it was. I'll be upgrading to the Oberon slave cylinder soon anyway I think.

17. Thanks, I wish it wasn't. It seems to shift nicely sometimes, may partly be user error I suppose.

18. Just an update in case anyone's watching. Leeds Ducati confirmed the gearbox slop appeared normal. And I had a look at a '16 DVT at the shop where I got mine and that was the same.

Mechanic where I got it had a look and said the chain was too loose so tightened it using the guage thing (which measured 36-38 mm, so an MTS one not the MTSE one) but it wasn't any better so I've put it back to the proper 56-58mm setting.

I guess the gearbox is just a bit clunky ...

19. Had to go back to get service light reset and chatted to the Ducati trained mechanic this time. He confirmed my chain was spot on and mentioned the straight cut gears in the gearbox, also the clutch not having the lateral damper springs a jap bike would have.

Is that right? Looks (from the workshop manual) like the whole gearbox is straight cut gears and that is probably the reason it's a bit clunky?

20. And if that's the case, do I need to modify my gear changing style to compensate? Apart from a Husqvarna TE610 I've only ever had jap bikes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information