1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Fluid

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Philm, May 25, 2020.

1. I need to bleed the clutch on the v4,just wondering what fluid you guys would recommend? Never owned a bike with hydraulic clutch before so a bit in the dark!

2. Dot 4 brake fluid - it's all the same regardless of whether its clutch or brake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I favour Motul 660 as it has a better tolerance to higher temperatures. Andy

4. You may not need fluid. These bikes are notorious for needing regular clutch bleeds, but most of the time all you need to do is open the bleed valve on the master and GENTLY squeeze the clutch lever until fluid appears, then tighten it again. That’s it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys! Appreciate you’re advice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just one thing it will be Dot4 that's in there so make sure whatever brand you use to top up it's DOT4 rated as well.

DOT5.1 will be OK but DOT5 is a no no, best to stick with DOT4.

#6 West Cork Paul, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks Paul, I’ll use Castrol srf as I already have some for my race bike and that’s dot 4!

8. Think that should be the other way round. Before ABS on Harleys they used dot5 which is silicon based.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Agree, that's me having it arse about face, I fess up, thanks Geoff:upyeah:, post edited now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information