1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Clutch Moan Under Load - Is This Normal?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by DanielHowden, Apr 11, 2019.

1. I have never owned a dry clutch bike before but I notice that when I am accelerating from a standing start the clutch moans - sounds like it's a friction thing between the plates. Do they all do this or do I have a problem?

Thanks, Daniel.

2. Where clutches are concerned, friction is a good thing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mine did. And like you I had no idea. They are easy to take to bits and inspect and clean. Mine was fixed by getting all the dust out and using some brake cleaner on the surfaces. Have a google and you’ll see it’s really easy to take to bits and inspect. As long as you keep all the bits in order it is an hours work start to finish.

4. Iirc (been years since I had a dry clutch) it’s possible it needs a clean. I used to just blow out dust with an airline

5. Ime, white lithium grease sorts it

6. Yep - get that with most dry clutch Ducatis. Strip the plates down, give them a scrub with cleaner, dry, reassemble and sorted - half an hour, tops. Until I did this, my 749R sounded like a soul being tortured on pulling away.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brilliant, thanks for the help.

8. @DanielHowden, please wear an orinasal mask whilst doing any cleaning with an air line. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Isn’t this one of the reasons most had open covers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes the dust is nasty stuff so be careful.

11. I have always removed the rubber gasket and the put two washers on each bolt between the cover and engine. The small gap allows the dust to exit. No graunching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I thought about that but was worried about water ingress. Not that I like riding in the wet. But it’s the UK...the standard clutch parts are just steel and would rust wouldn’t they?

13. I have done that on a couple of bikes too. Water can get in but only a tiny bit - the pros outweigh the cons.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information