1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Clutch Pressure Plate

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by NeilH, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Looks good though ;)

2. The cover or the pressure plate?

Also, a question to all on open covers; they look nice but do they not lead to rust on the plates, in the basket and behind the basket due to water ingress when it’s wet?

3. It lets the dust out is the main plus, the centrifugal force of the spinning clutch throws the water out. Yes I have slight signs of rust on the clutch plate tangs.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. The cover would not afford much protection in the case of an accident is what I think he means.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks & useful. I’ll make sure I get a metal one then.

6. Why? Planning on falling off??o_O

7. The cover, It'll just shatter on impact so by by clutch...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. another controversial one, even the original clutch cover doesn't make you immune to clutch and crankshaft damage and the majority of lightweight aluminium aftermarket covers are no better - should " how hard do you plan on crashing" shape your decision on which cover to buy? To me it's a choice worth following for the much needed improvement in cooling despite the compromise in the event of an accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The clutch doesn't bolt directly to the crankshaft ;)

10. Most crashes damaging the clutch cover are slides. Carbon covers etc just get scratched up in those.

If it gets a real whack as in a high side or t-boned doesn't matter what cover you have on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Slides are ok with ally covers..

Screenshot_20200106-130303_Gallery.jpg

12. you are right of course, :upyeah: but for the record - I didn't say that it did. ;)

#32 Chris, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. No, not really:confused: but I hadn’t thought of that consideration, @Chris ’s comments above are valid 2.

I’ll knock something up from a bit of plastic I’ve got in the shed, I’m pretty sure there’s a bit of paint left in the rattle can:thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information